Tailgating is one of my favorite sporting event activities. It’s fun to hang out with friends prior to the game, and nothing makes the time go faster than grilling during the tailgate party. If you want the food to be great, though, you need to have a great tailgate grill!
- 1 Best Tailgate Grills
- 1.1 1. Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Grill
- 1.2 2. Coleman RoadTrip LXX Portable Grill
- 1.3 3. Coleman Sportster Grill
- 1.4 4. Coleman Party Grill
- 1.5 5. Cuisinart CGG-180T Red Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill
- 1.6 6. Blackstone Tabletop 17-Inch Portable Gas Grill
- 1.7 7. NASHRIO Portable Folding Camping Grill
- 1.8 8. Coleman RoadTrip LX Grill
- 1.9 9. Coleman NXT Lite Standup Grill
- 1.10 10. Martin Portable BBQ Gas Grill
- 1.11 11. Camerons Products Tailgating Collapsible Table With Insulated Cooler
- 1.12 12. Coleman RoadTrip Rolling Grill Case for LX Series Grills
- 1.13 13. Coleman Fold N Go Grill
- 1.14 14. Coleman 2 Burner Grill Stove Combo
- 1.15 15. Coleman RoadTrip X-Cursion Grill
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3 Conclusion
Best Tailgate Grills
We have reviewed several grills that are suitable for tailgating. We will share the reviews with you along with pros and cons of each one.
1. Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Grill
The RoadTrip LXE portable grill by Coleman is the ideal compact size for tailgating. It delivers 20,000 BTUs (British thermal units) of heat across 285-square inches of grilling surface.
The grill has an insta-start button to ignite the grill without using a match or lighter. Its collapsible design includes wheels and a handle so you can transport it anywhere as if it’s a rolling cart or bag. You will love the flexibility and versatility this portable grill provides for your tailgating experience!
- 20,000 BTUs
- 285-square inch grilling surface
- Interchangeable cooktop grills
- Collapsible design
- Side shelves for food prep
- Flame is susceptible to slight winds
2. Coleman RoadTrip LXX Portable Grill
The RoadTrip LXX portable grill delivers 22,000 BTUs of heat over 285-square inches of cooking surface. It contains side tables that slide out to keep ingredients and sauces handy while grilling.
This grill is easy and quick to set up. You can lock the stand legs in place, ignite the grill burners and start grilling immediately! The RoadTrip LXX uses 16.4-ounce disposable propane cylinders. You will love the convenience and flavors that this grill consistently delivers every time. Be the envy of your tailgating party with this portable Coleman grill!
- 22,000 BTUs
- 3 utensil hooks
- Sliding side tables
- Plastic handle is fragile and breaks easily
3. Coleman Sportster Grill
The Coleman Sportster grill offers 11,000 BTUs of cooking power. It has an insta-start ignition for matchless lighting of your grill. The lift and lock system allows you to convert this grill from the compact storage setup into a standing grill within seconds.
This grill includes a removable drip tray to capture grease and fat from your food. 225-square inches of cooking space allows you to grill enough burgers and food for your entire family.
- Collapsible design
- Insta-start ignition system
- Lift and lock setup process
- Removable drip tray
- 225-square inches of cooking surface
- Assembly instructions and usage instructions are vague
4. Coleman Party Grill
This compact portable grill from Coleman has a round design which gives you the feeling you are cooking on a charcoal grill! It delivers 8000 BTUs of cooking power and has an insta-start ignition button which allows you to light the grill without the use of matches or a lighter.
Detachable legs fit snugly inside the grill for easy transportation and storage. The grill will last for 2.5-hours on high with a single 16.4-ounce propane cylinder. You will be the life of your tailgating party with this convenient portable grill!
- Round design
- 122-square inches of cooking surface
- 8000 BTUs
- Insta-start ignition button
- Detachable legs
- Does not include a lid to help with storage
5. Cuisinart CGG-180T Red Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill
This portable gas grill from Cuisinart has a 145-square inch grilling area and foldaway legs for compact storage. The powerful 5500 BTU stainless steel burner provides an even distribution of heat throughout the grill.
The clever design of this grill allows you to carry it like a briefcase. Weighing only 13.5-pounds, you can transport this grill anywhere you need to go such as tailgate parties or the beach. This grill is ideal for small spaces and will give you perfectly flavored food every time you use it.
- 5500 BTUs
- 145-square inches of cooking space
- Aluminum legs with stabilizing feet
- Foldaway legs for compact storage
- Grease does not always drain away into the drip pan
6. Blackstone Tabletop 17-Inch Portable Gas Grill
This portable grill is built with an easy-to-use electric igniter. It uses 16-ounce propane bottles for fuel and has a built-in grease drip tray. Cleanup of this grill after cooking is simple. Wipe it off with a paper towel or with a little soap and water.
The no-fuss cooking surface lets you spend more time enjoying the outdoors and less time worrying about cleaning up. The grill has a stainless steel “H” burner that heats up quickly and provides even heat distribution. With 260-square inches of grilling surface, you will be able to cook for your entire family easily.
- 260-square inches of grilling surface
- Electric igniter
- Uses 16-ounce propane cylinders
- Griddle surface
- Griddle doesn’t get extremely hot
7. NASHRIO Portable Folding Camping Grill
This grill is intended to be used over a campfire or a fire pit. It is constructed from durable stainless steel and includes a lanyard for hanging when in storage. You can place skillets or pans on this grill. You can even place food directly on the grill to cook over the fire.
The grill weighs only 12-ounces and can support up to 11-pounds of food. If you are looking for a way to cook meat and other food directly over a fire, this grill is the ideal solution for your needs.
- Stainless steel
- For use directly over a fire or fire pit
- Compact size
- 12-month warranty
- Parts can melt if the fire is too hot
8. Coleman RoadTrip LX Grill
The RoadTrip LX by Coleman delivers 20,000 BTUs of heat and offers 2 independently adjustable burners. It has interchangeable cooktops which allow you to switch out the grill grates for griddles that are sold separately.
It has side tables that flip out for food prep while you are grilling. The grill has a collapsible stand that folds up for compact storage. You can even use the grill directly on a tabletop without the stand. Show off your grilling skills at your next tailgating party with this portable Coleman grill.
- 20,000 BTUs
- 2 independently adjustable burners
- Interchangeable grill and griddle cooktops
- Side tables
- Collapsible stand
- Grill may rust after extensive use
9. Coleman NXT Lite Standup Grill
This compact grill delivers 8500 BTUs of heat to cover 168-square inches of cooking surface. It offers grates that can be interchanged with griddles or stove plates that are sold separately.
It has a no-spill grease cup which swivels to stay level while you cook. A secure latch system fastens the legs for easy transport. This grill is easy to assemble and clean. You can even fit the grill grate into your dishwasher after you come back from your tailgating party!
- 8500 BTUs
- 168-square inches of cooking surface
- No-spill grease cup
- Easy to assemble
- Difficult to cook at low temperatures
10. Martin Portable BBQ Gas Grill
This tabletop grill offers a U-shaped burner which evenly distributes heat across the cooking surface. It has folding support legs which quickly unfold to set up the grill on the table.
A small drip tray captures grease as it is released from your grilled food. It offers 354-square inches of cooking space and even includes a retractable warming rack. The Piezo ignition system means there is no need for using matches or a lighter to start your grill. You will love the flavorful results you get from this compact tabletop grill!
- 14,000 BTUs
- 354-square inches of cooking space
- Folding support legs
- Piezo ignition system
- Grease does not always make it into the drip tray
11. Camerons Products Tailgating Collapsible Table With Insulated Cooler
This is the perfect companion to go along with your tailgating grill and cookout! It features an insulated cooler with 4 cup holders. It also has a food basket and works great as a small picnic table.
Tension straps create a stable surface so you don’t have to worry about the table collapsing. It comes with a travel bag for easy portability and storage. It is light, easy-to-use and ideal for food and drinks to go along with your grilled food.
- Light, collapsible design
- Includes a travel and storage bag
- Tension straps create a steady table surface
- Includes an insulated cooler
- Cup holders are too small for cans or insulated cups
12. Coleman RoadTrip Rolling Grill Case for LX Series Grills
If you have a Coleman RoadTrip grill, then you will certainly want to have this convenient rolling grill case to go along with it! It has easy-glide wheels and side handles which make it easier to lift in and out of your vehicle.
Interior dividers help keep accessories and condiments organized. Durable zipper and tie-down straps secure the grill inside the case during storage and transport.
If you are a regular tailgating party-goer, then consider this grill case to accompany your Coleman RoadTrip LX series grill. You will love how organized it helps you keep everything!
- Easy-glide wheels
- Top and side handles
- Interior dividers
- Zipper and tie-down straps to secure the grill
- Wheels are plastic and may break after extensive use
13. Coleman Fold N Go Grill
This is one of the most compact folding grills I have found on the market. It delivers 6000 BTUs of heat over 105-square inches of grilling surface. The horseshoe burner can be adjusted for precise temperature control and evenly distributed heating.
Cleanup after grilling is a breeze with the removable dishwasher-safe cooking surface and grease tray. This compact grill lasts up to 3.5-hours on high with a single 16.4-ounce propane cylinder. You will be amazed at the flavors you get out of this small grill!
- 6000 BTUs
- 105-square inches of grilling surface
- Horseshoe burner
- Dishwasher-safe cooking surface and grease tray
- Does not have an automatic lighting system
14. Coleman 2 Burner Grill Stove Combo
This compact product from Coleman has a 2-in-1 design so you can use it as a grill and as a stove at the same time. Wind block panels help to shield the burners from wind, and you can also fold them down to use as side tables.
The stove side of the grill is large enough to fit a 10-inch skillet or pan. The grill area offers 130-square inches of cooking surface. This is the perfect-sized grill for tailgating parties or camping and you will wonder how you waited so long to get one!
- 2-in-1 design offers grill and stove use
- 20,000 BTUs
- Wind block panels
- Side tables
- Cover is too shallow to close during grilling
15. Coleman RoadTrip X-Cursion Grill
This RoadTrip X-Cursion grill offers 20,000 BTUs of cooking power over a 285-square inch grill surface. It has an insta-start ignition for matchless lighting. It includes a large side table for food prep and keeping sauces and ingredients handy while grilling.
There are 2 independently adjustable burners which gives you control over 2 different temperature zones. The grill will last up to 1-hour with both burners on high using a single 16.4-ounce propane cylinder. This is enough time to get your food grilled during your tailgating party before game time!
- 20,000 BTUs
- 285-square inch grill surface
- Insta-start ignition lighting
- Includes a large side table
- Takes a long time to heat up
Frequently Asked Questions
Before you purchase a grill for tailgating, you may have some questions that need answered before you can make the final choice. Here are some questions we have come up with that might help.
What is the Best Cooking Area Size?
You want a grill that will adequately feed everyone at your party. The average size of a portable grill is around 285-square inches. This size allows you to place 8 good-sized burgers on the grill. If you get anything smaller, you may have to grill multiple rounds of burgers or hot dogs.
What Should I Consider About Portability?
You want to have a grill that is compact and can fold up for easy storage. It should have either wheels so you can roll it around or a heavy-duty handle to carry it when it is completely folded.
What Is The Best Tailgate Grill?
I like the Coleman RoadTrip series of grills the best. They run on propane so you don’t have to mess with cleaning up charcoal ashes.
They have a collapsible design which makes it easy to transport and carry the grill. They have 285-square inches of grilling space which is enough to grill for several people at one time.
You can’t have a tailgating party unless you have a grill to go with it. As you can see from our reviews, you can get an inexpensive compact grill for under $200. Be sure you are getting one that is large enough to feed all of your party-goers. You will definitely be in the spotlight when you show up with your compact grill!