We are living in the time of pack-it-and-go. Music, toys, games, books – it is all about packing every little thing we can to make our life more enjoyable. And from bypassing public grills to tailgating ones, there is something great about having the best portable charcoal grill with you.
In this piece, we will look at charcoal grills that you can carry around when going to camp or any other place. First, we will review the top ten models and then look at a buying guide to help you choose the right one for your needs.
- 1 Portable Charcoal Grill Reviewed for 2019
- 1.1 1. Weber 10020 Smokey Joe Portable Grill
- 1.2 2. Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
- 1.3 3. Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill
- 1.4 4. Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman’s Grill
- 1.5 5. Char-Griller E22424 Table Top Charcoal Grill
- 1.6 6. Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill
- 1.7 7. Marsh Allen 30052AMZ Charcoal Grill
- 1.8 8. ISUMER Charcoal Grill
- 1.9 9. BEAU JARDIN Portable Charcoal Grill
- 1.10 10. EVOLAND BBQ Charcoal Grill
- 2 Portable Charcoal Grill Buying Guide
- 3 In Conclusion
Portable Charcoal Grill Reviewed for 2019
What are the top portable charcoal grills on the market today?
1. Weber 10020 Smokey Joe Portable Grill
If you want a grill for camping or taking beside the sea, then the Weber 10020 is the way to go. The unit lives up to the expectation and brand and has earned a lot of positive reviews from satisfied users.
What makes it unique is the ability to function as a cookout, tailgate parties, and camping gear. It is referred to as the classic quality grill by travelers around the world and has a 14 inches surface that can prepare three steaks at a go.
In terms of portability, the model measures 15.6 x 15.6 x 9 inches and weighs about 10 pounds. That means you can easily pick it up and carry it whenever you want to head out.
And the product comes with a decade warranty that shows the product is exceptionally durable.
- Easy to clean and use
- Start fire easily
- Large cooking surface
- Comes with thin legs
2. Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
The Weber 121020 might be the right model for you if you want a lightweight grill that you can take from point A to B. It is one of the most affordable machines you can get out there and offers a wide range of function to guarantee value for the money.
One feature is 160 sq. inches cooking surface that holds enough food to feed up to four people. That space is ideal for holding six huge burgers, and the compact design means that you don’t need to use a lot of charcoal.
Besides, its rectangular shape makes it an attractive model that many people will admire when they see it at your backyard. The model doesn’t come with whistles, bells, or gauge, but it still ranks among the top when it comes to the features.
- Ventilation system
- Porcelain-coated to prevent corrosion
- Easy to assemble
- The handle can get hot
3. Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal Grill
The Weber Jumbo is a reproduction of a previous version and comes with better features. Its design is also more attractive and has a vent at the bottom for allowing the air to flow via it.
Another thing, the unit comes with a huge cooking area of 240 sq. inches but its body is compact. It comes with the popular three-leg design that makes it stable when on the surface.
One feature that impresses the buyers is the base and the lid. They feature the same long-lasting coating and are well-constructed to handle frequent use. The cooking grate is also plated, with aluminum dampers on the base – it is rust-free.
Besides, it is easy to clean the Jumbo thanks to the ash catcher that ensures you get all the waste at one place. You also get a ten years warranty on the bowl and lid.
- Come with an ash catcher
- Lightweight, portable, and small
- Excellent temperature control
- Limited space
4. Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman’s Grill
The Lodge Cast Iron is a fascinating machine because of the two adjustable heights. That lets you control how far or near the food will be to the heat, depending on what you are preparing.
Its size lets you take it anywhere you want with ease – backyard, tailgating, patio, or camping. What’s more, the model can give you a maximum of 9 hotdogs at once.
Regulating the temperature is also straightforward since you only need to close or open the door. And for the desired taste and evenness, the model comes with seasoned iron cast grates.
There is also a flip-down door that lets you access the coal with ease during the cooking. It also comes with handles that make it easier to carry like a bucket.
- Adjustable heights
- Flip down door
- Seasoned iron cast grates
- No lid cover
5. Char-Griller E22424 Table Top Charcoal Grill
It is always good to have a lot of choices, even if you don’t need them. That is why the Char-Griller E22424 attaches to different brands of grills to act as a firebox.
And you don’t need to worry because turning this unit into a firebox is simple. The model grills and smokes at once, and that is all possible due to the angle of the vents.
There is one on the other side of the top and one just above the charcoal box. That means you get a well close-vented machine for preparing your foods while on the go.
Another feature is the sliding charcoal drawer that makes it easier to remove the ashes from the ash pan. There is also a handle that remains cool that you can use to clear the ash.
- Heats evenly
- Requires a small amount of charcoal
- Comes with assembling instructions
- Grates are near the coal
6. Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill
If you want a model that can hold a lot of burgers and still be compact, then this is the gear for you. It can hold nine burgers with ease, making it an excellent grill for a small family.
One-touch cleaning ability makes it effortless to clean the grill and even get rid of the ashes. Another feature that makes it a great model is the porcelain-enamelled lid that resists any form of rust.
There is also a bowl that helps the unit to retain heat, and there is no possibility of it peeling off or corroding. You can use the lid hook to hang it instead of placing it on the floor.
Moreover, you can easily control the temperature using the dampers. That helps you always to have the ideal temperature for cooking your meals.
- Cooking heat retains heat
- Easy to clean up
- The lid has a hook
- A bit pricy
7. Marsh Allen 30052AMZ Charcoal Grill
The Marsh Allen 30052AMZ is a model for beginners as it takes less than 20 minutes to assemble. It is also a lightweight grill that weighs around 10 pounds, meaning that you can move it around with ease.
In terms of size, it offers up to 157 sq. inches of cooking area and you don’t need to break a bank to afford it. As you will see below, the model gives you two options for cooking.
You can choose to cook directly in the large bottom grate or use the 3-tier adjustable grate. The two are cast-iron and disperse heat well to ensure your food cooks evenly.
There are also handles that makes it easier to hold the grill even when there is fire. And with a temperature of about 500 degrees F, the grilling time is reduced.
- Very durable material
- Huge cooking area
- Portable and low price
- Vents don’t work
8. ISUMER Charcoal Grill
The ISUMER Charcoal Grill gives out tasty food within a short time. It comes with a sufficient cooking area that can hold food for about five people.
The unit is also compact enough to allow you to take it from one area to another with ease. That means you can take it for a camping trip or set it in your patio, balcony, or backyard.
Besides, it comes with detachable legs that make it possible to vary the height and even carry it. The grill is also sturdy as it is made of stainless steel material that is corrosion-free.
What’s more, you can easily disassemble the machine when taking it to the store. That also makes it easier to transport your grill.
- Detachable legs
- Large cooking area
- Sturdy and strong
- A bit heavy
9. BEAU JARDIN Portable Charcoal Grill
BEAU JARDIN is a portable charcoal grill that measures 17.5 x 24 x 17 inches. It comes with grill plated steel that provides enough area for cooking your meals.
Its design makes it the ideal go-anywhere unit that will give you food the perfect taste of grilling. There is also an air vent that lets you control how the air flows in and out of the grill.
Another notable feature of the machine is the ease of cleaning it. That is possible due to the ash catcher that collects the ashes and is easy to remove from the machine.
Thanks to the durable wheels, you can quickly move the grill from one location to the other. Its quality material also ensures that you use the model for years to come.
- Compact in design
- Comes with wheels
- Easy to clean
- Peels easily
10. EVOLAND BBQ Charcoal Grill
You can enjoy your cooking with the EVOLAND BBQ Charcoal Grill. It is the right model for preparing grilled food for family and friends during an outing session.
The model promises you the original flavor of grilled meals and doesn’t use any screws – you can assemble it fast. There is also a mess-fresh ash catcher that makes it simple to clean when you compare it to other models.
Besides, there are five vents on either side of the BBQ that make it easier for the air to flow. The model saves you space, and it has a superb handle that lets you pick it up without much hassle.
You can use the grill when going for picnic, trail, party, meet, beach, camping, backpacking, and other places. It is also of high-quality due to the stainless steel construction.
- Gives tasty foods
- Comes with lots of vents
- For all-purpose
- Slightly standard model
Portable Charcoal Grill Buying Guide
What things should you consider when buying your grill?
- Cooking area – You will get different sizes but of importance is to know the number of people who will be eating the food. Again, a large surface area might make the model be less portable.
- Durability – The durability is determined by the quality of the material used to construct the grill. A model made of stainless steel is more durable compared to others made of low-quality content.
- Airflow and vents – Portable charcoal grills are slightly complicated when controlling the airflow. They come with vents that help to move the air evenly.
- Lid – You should also consider getting a model that comes with a lid as it will preserve the heat. That means your food will cook better if you cover it as opposed to when it is left uncovered.
- Burning area – A unit with a bigger burning surface keeps the fire away from the briquette and grates. There is less chance of your food being burnt.
- Weight and size – You should get a lightweight machine that you can carry from one place to the other without any hassle. The weight will be determined by the burning area and the cooking surface.
- Ash cleaning – We all want a unit that is easy to clean. Some models come with an ash catcher that makes it easier to clean.
- Stand and legs – They act to provide the stability of your grill. If possible, get a unit that comes with legs since it will be easier to move around.
There are other things that you should consider, such as your budget and what you will be cooking. Of important, get a lightweight machine that will do the job effectively.
Now it is your turn to go to the market and pick the best portable charcoal grill that will satisfy your needs. All the models we have reviewed above are of high-quality, lightweight, and offer value for your money.