Having an offset smoker at home is a relief. If you have decided to buy one, that’s a good decision. It’s a classic smoking tool no doubt. You smoke the food in s horizontal chamber while charcoal and wood keep burning in the firebox attached on its side. The smoker typically comes with multiple shelves so that you can cook more food in one go.
- 1 The 10 Best Rated Offset Smokers on the Market
- 1.1 Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
- 1.2 Char-Broil Offset Smoker, 30″
- 1.3 Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill
- 1.4 Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker
- 1.5 Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Offset Smoker
- 1.6 Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo
- 1.7 Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
- 1.8 Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Deluxe
- 1.9 Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box
- 1.10 Royal Gourmet Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker, Black 30″ L
- 2 Important Factors To Consider When Buying An Offset Smoker
- 3 Offset Smoker FAQs
- 4 How To Build Offset Smoker?
- 5 How To Clean Offset Smoker?
- 6 How Does Offset Smoker Work?
- 7 How To Season Offset Smoker?
- 8 Summing Up
The 10 Best Rated Offset Smokers on the Market
For beginners, it is overwhelming to choose the offset smoker since they are available in so many configurations. Let’s find out what is the best offset smoker on the market that costs under $1000, or even under $500.
Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill with Offset Smoker
It’s an easy to assemble offset smoker with 800 square inches cooking surface. There is a seamless connection between the side smoker and the main chamber that makes it heat up quickly. The lid adopt groove design keeps the chamber warm.
It also has a built-in thermometer. For better airflow, an adjustable damper is provided. It can take up to 5 pounds of charcoal in the charcoal pan. The two storage rack –front and underneath makes storage convenient.
All thanks to the 2 wheel design, it’s very easy to transport. It is a combination of a charcoal grill, BBQ and offset smoker.
- The size of the grill makes you cook a large amount of food in one go.
- It is very easy to put together.
- It is extremely easy to move around.
- Can’t be left outdoors when not in use otherwise, it may catch rust.
Char-Broil Offset Smoker, 30″
Char-Broil Offset Smoker has a 477 square cooking surface. It has a 3-piece smoking chamber that is responsible for maintaining temperature and eliminating air loss.
The cooking grate is coated with porcelain which makes cleaning easier. The unit also has a firebox ash door that makes ash removal easier. There is a smoker chamber that lets you control temperature by reducing the air draft. You can use the top damper for heat control or adjust the smoke.
You will have 3 charcoal grates that allow the smoker to pull double duty as and when needed. This offset smoker has everything you need for your BBQ. 8-inch wheels make it easy to move around the patio or deck.
- It’s perfect for direct grilling and offset smoking.
- It has enough room for prep and storage.
- Porcelain makes the offset easy to clean.
- Instructions for assembly are a little hard to follow.
Dyna-Glo Signature Series DGSS1382VCS-D Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill
Series DGSS1382VCS-D features a 5 chrome plated cooking grates. You will get a cooking space of 1382 sq inches. It’s known for generating that classic smokehouse flavor. This large and multi-functional BBQ machine lets you prepare as much food as you want.
The offset grill is made from heavy gauge steel body. The unit also has a touch spring grip that’s meant to offer you safer access to the food. The charcoal grate and ash pan is removable which means you will have easy access to the fuel. Disposing of ash will not be a problem either.
What’s great is that there is an analog temperature gauge that lets you cook on an ideal temperature. With the help of oversized steel wheels, mobility is made easy.
- Accessing good couldn’t get safer all thanks to the cool-touch spring lid.
- Maintaining an ideal cooking temperature is not a problem.
- The wheels make it easy to move around the yard.
- Cleaning the shelves of the unit is not easy.
Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker
Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Offset Smoker lets you prepare mouthwatering meals in one go. It has a large cooking chamber of 619 square inches. It’s very easy to access the door on the firebox making stoking and adding more wood easier.
- It’s easy to assemble the unit.
- It comes with shelves to let you keep everything organized.
- The unit is made from thin steel. The only problem is that thick steel allows to retain the heat and reduce heat fluctuations.
Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Offset Smoker
Longhorn Offset Smoker is larger than Highland. It has 1,060 sq inch cooking space in two cooking chambers. The main chamber has a separate firebox attached.
You will also find 751 sq. inch porcelain-coated wire cooking grate. Then there is a second surface which provides 309 sq. inch of space.
The 3-inch professional temperature gauge gives you complete control over the heat. You can raise or lower the charcoal grate in the firebox or adjust the campers inside the smokestack of the main chamber.
For directly cooking meals, you can use the second cooking surface located in the firebox chamber. It is up to you whether you want to cook in both chambers and just one. There is a long work shelf at the front of the grill where you can keep your tools or ingredients.
Ash removal is easier than what you can image. There is a side cleanout door that lets you remove it easily. The storage space under the shelf lets you hold the grilling accessories too. The heavy gauge steel construction makes sure the new grill lasts for a long time.
- Easy to put together and use.
- The two chambers let you cook multiple food items at the same time.
- All thanks to the side cleanout door, ash removal is very easy.
- Don’t place it outdoors otherwise, it might catch rust.
Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal/LP Gas/Smoker Combo
It also features 2 separate cooking chambers. One is for smoking and the other one is for gas grilling. The offset fire and side burner let you choose the cooking method you like.
You will enjoy 1060 sq inch cooking surface. The firebox chamber features 310 sq inch cooking surface.
Multiple dampers across the smoking chamber and firebox let you control not just the heat but smoke too. For storing your utensils and keeping ingredients at hand, there is a metal storage shelf under the cooking chamber.
- It’s versatile since you can grill or smoke as per your like.
- It’s made from heavy-duty material that adds to its durability.
- You are in control of the temperature of the unit.
- Its smoking area is a little smaller
Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker
With Dyna-Glo, you can take outdoor cooking performance to the next level. The custom cooking options let you alter the flavor of the food.
6 adjustable cooking grates let you induce smoked flavor. The smoker is designed in such a way that the food is kept away from direct heat. This means the food in the bottom rack will not cook too fast.
This offset smoker provides you 786 sq inch of smoking area. You can smoke up to 100 pounds of food in a single go. Don’t worry about losing heat because the dual door design takes care of it.
The heavy-duty steel body has high-temp powder coating to increase the durability. It has a built-in thermometer called smoke zone that indicates ideal temperature to infuse smoke flavor.
- It holds heat for a long time. There is no fear of smoke leakage.
- You can induce the kind of smoke flavor in the food you want.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain.
- Its firebox is small.
Char-Broil American Gourmet Offset Smoker, Deluxe
It’s a vertical gas smoker that lets you smoke your meat to perfection. It is a 3 in 1 smoker. The 760 sq inch cooking surface in the main chamber is meant for barbecuing and grilling. Then you have the 355 sq inch firebox chamber.
The unit is made from steel and it has square legs that makes it sturdy and stable. All thanks to the welded cooking chamber, you can keep the smoke inside and get the most flavor. You can also control how hot the smoker would get with the fully adjustable heat control.
You can keep smoke under control with the help of the chimney vent. The attached handles and wheels let you move the unit to any place you want.
- You will have full control of heat and smoke because of the multiple adjustable dampers.
- It is fairly easy to assemble.
- It is light and portable.
- Because of the gaps in the lid, the smoke may escape the unit.
Char-Griller E1224 Smokin Pro 830 Square Inch Charcoal Grill with Side Fire Box
If you are up for Texas-style barbecue, this one is meant for you. It’s a traditional charcoal grill with a side firebox. It’s made of heavy gauge coated steel construction. Nonstick cast iron cooking grates ensure the food gets even heat.
With the help of removable charcoal drawers, you can easily add charcoal and remove the ashes. The drawers have a double bottom for long-term durability.
2 wheels are provided for easy transport. The temperature gauge is an added feature that keeps you in control. The total cooking area is 830 sq inches – 580 for cooking surface and 250 for side firebox.
- The unit has a solid construction which makes it durable.
- You will enjoy great heal control.
- Dumping the ash is easy. Just pull out the ash pan and dispose it off.
- Some users have complained the paint wears off soon.
Royal Gourmet Charcoal Grill Offset Smoker, Black 30″ L
Royal Gourmet Charcoal grill with offset smoker is perfect if you are looking for a quick BBQ grill. It is not just easy to assemble but also easy to clean. Your meat will remain tender and juicy because the unit heats quickly and it holds heat very well too.
This combination offset smoker is great for smoking and heating. There is a side door that lets you easily add charcoal. For better airflow, air vent grants are provided too. The heavy-duty lid makes sure heat does not escape the unit.
The charcoal pan can adjust 5 pounds of charcoal in a single go. You can also adjust the height of the charcoal for better heating. The unit has a steel mesh front table and a bottom shelf to provide you extra work and storage space.
- The unit is durable, rust-resistant and easy to clean.
- The rack lets you store items you want to keep close.
- You will have complete control over the grilling temperature.
- The paint starts coming off as you use the unit.
- Holes are not drilled right which makes it hard to close the smoker.
Important Factors To Consider When Buying An Offset Smoker
Choose the size considering how much space you will need for cooking. Don’t forget that a large size means a larger storage space.
Offset smokers with metal or stainless steel construction are best. The material must be able to hold or transfer heat well.
Being able to move the unit is always a convenience. Although smokers now come with wheels, some large units still lack them.
Offset Smoker FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions about offset smoker answered:
Why should I use offset smoker?
Offset smokers are capable of cooking a large amount of food at once. They give your food a unique Smokey flavor. They are safer and easy to use.
How to keep the offset smoker hot?
If you want to keep the offset smoker hot for a long time, make sure you buy the one that’s properly sealed. It must have a thick metal wall construction. Models with thicker walls maintain the temperature better regardless of the weather condition out there.
Are offset smoker durable?
Offset smokers are made from quality metals welded together. Since the unit is meant for external use, it is designed to withstand all climate changes.
How To Build Offset Smoker?
Before you start assembling or building the offset smoker, it is recommended to read the manual provided. It will contain step by step instructions of setting up the smoker. For beginners, these tips might help:
- Cook with charcoal. It wouldn’t produce much smoke or ash and you will get to maintain the BBQ flavor.
- Before you put the meat in, make sure the cooking chamber is preheated.
- The coals that you added previously will fade and the temperature will begin to decline. To prevent that, add fully lit coals from the chimney before you start cooking.
- Make sure the lids of the firebox and cooking chamber are closed. Otherwise, heat will escape.
- You must stay near the offset smoker as long as the meat is in there.
How To Clean Offset Smoker?
Let’s face it, nobody likes cleaning the offset smoker right after the party is over. That’s ok, you can always clean it the morning after. To get started, first remove the grate from the firebox. Sweep the ash into the tray using a small brush. If you see large pieces of wood or charcoal, remove them by hand. Once the ash is out, put everything in place.
Now it’s time to access the bottom of the cooking chamber. For that, remove the grills and plates. You will see solid fat stuck at the bottom of the chamber. Use a paper towel to wipe it. It’s not recommended to use anything abrasive that may leave scratches. Feel free to use a spatula to remove any food particles.
Most offset smokers have stainless steel grills which are very easy to clean. You can soak them in hot water and use a sponge or even wire brush to clean them. Once everything is clean, put them back in place. Remember, if you don’t clean the unit after use, you will have to deal with stubborn grease the next time.
How Does Offset Smoker Work?
An offset smoker helps you cook meat in a safer way. It’s perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. You can easily control the fire within the smoker which makes it an efficient option as compared to other smokers. The offset smoker features a separate firebox which generates heat. This heat is used by the grilling pan for operation to make sure the meat cooks evenly.
It basically has two components. The main cooking chamber is usually located at the grated barrel. Then you will see a firebox attached to one end of the cooking chamber. The firebox creates heat and smoke which enters the cooking chamber via the holes between the two spaces. The smoke travels out of the unit through a smokestack. It is located at the end of the cooking chamber.
How To Season Offset Smoker?
You season an offset smoker by applying a thick protective coat of oil on the surface. There are 3 steps to season it:
Step 1: Spray some cooking oil
Coat the internal parts of the smoker with spray on cooking oil. There is no need to season the grills though. Apply the oil inside the smoker only.
Step 2: Light the fire
Now it is time to light fire in the offset smoker. Apart from this, light the charcoal in the chimney fire starter.
Step 3: Monitor the temperature
Keep on monitoring the temperature gauges. It must reach 150 degrees. You will have to maintain a steady temperature for 2 hours at least.
The seasoning process completes after 2 hours of burning at the temperature mentioned above.
You must go for an offset smoker that is the best value for the money. Whether you pick that is under $1000 or under $500, the decision is totally yours. Don’t mind checking the ones reviewed above.