Knives are the most critical tools for cookery experts, and they need to be sharpened all the times. You might have worked with a blunt blade with rough edges and had a hard time accomplishing your cutting.
That kind of knife not only makes it slow to cut, but it can also damage your food. The best honing steel can help to resolve that problem.
So, let’s look at the ten leading honing steel for knives that can make your work easier.
- 1 Honing Steel Reviews for 2021 – Expert Reviews
- 1.1 1. Utopia Kitchen Honing Steel Knife Sharpening Steel
- 1.2 2. ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W Sharpening Steel
- 1.3 3. Noble Home & Chef Professional Knife Steel
- 1.4 4. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels 32547-232 Sharpening Steel
- 1.5 5. Idahone Fine Ceramic Sharpening Rod
- 1.6 6. Cooks Standard Ceramic Rod Knife
- 1.7 7. Green Elephant Knife Sharpening Rod
- 1.8 8. Shenzhen Knives Ceramic Rod Knife Honing and Sharpening Steel
- 1.9 9. Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel
- 1.10 10. Dalstrong Honing Steel
- 2 Honing Steel Buying Guide
- 3 The Bottom Line
Honing Steel Reviews for 2021 – Expert Reviews
We have the best ten honing steels that you can use to sharpen your cooking knives. They are:
1. Utopia Kitchen Honing Steel Knife Sharpening Steel
Utopia is a user-friendly and straightforward sharpening rod that measures 10 inches. It can easily align and sharpen almost all types of knives, including serrated and standard ones.
Thanks to its long length, the tool quickly reduces your work in half, and it is made of carbon steel that is coated with nickel chrome. That means it is a rigid model that cannot get damaged easily.
Another thing, its handle is made of rubber to ensure that you get the best grip possible. And you can use it with either the left or right hand.
The equipment has a ring at the base that lets you hang it in the store or kitchen. You can use a cloth to wipe the steel clean without using any water.
- Ergonomically designed
- Does its job well
- Comes with a simple design
- Not an easy sharpener
2. ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W Sharpening Steel
The ALLWIN-HOUSEWARE W is another 10 inches tool that can help you to maintain your knives. It can sharpen the edges of your knife with ease and prolong its life.
One thing that makes it a great model is the brush chromed plated steel that ensures the sharpener does not rust. Besides, it adds to the hardness of the tool to ensure it does its job effectively.
There is also a slip-resistant rubber at the handle that makes it impossible for the tool to slip out of your hand. You can, therefore, sharpen your gears for hours without worrying about comfort.
To make it durable, you should wipe the rod dry with a cloth, and you shouldn’t use a dishwasher. The sharpener is recommended for all kinds of tools such as a pocket, sporting, household, and kitchen knives.
- Easy to clean
- Doesn’t rust
- Comfortable to hold
- The handle comes off
3. Noble Home & Chef Professional Knife Steel
Noble Home and Chef Knife Steel is one of the best tools for honing your knives and measures 10 inches. It easily sharpens the edges of every blade to leave it ready for the next cutting chores.
One feature that makes it a great addition to your honing tool is the magnetic nature – it attracts all the particles from the knives. The equipment was built to provide you with services for years thanks to the high-quality carbon steel.
There are not soft or cheap plastic in this tool, just affordable steel. That means the device is solid enough to enable you to sharpen your gears with ease and makes your kitchen classy.
Once hardened, the tool goes through what is called chromium plating that ensures it remains corrosion and rust-free. The model is dishwasher safe, although it should be cleaned with a dry cloth.
- For everyday use
- Makes your kitchen classy
- Dishwasher safe
- A bit heavy
4. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels 32547-232 Sharpening Steel
ZWILLING J.A 32547-232 is a sharpening tool that measures 9 inches, meaning that it is shorter than most instruments in this review. However, that does not mean it is not sufficient.
The unit easily maintains sharp knives that resemble those of professional honing. It is also high equipment to use after every use of your blades and it provides years of service.
Another feature of the sharpener is the smooth polypropylene handle that makes it comfortable to hold. You can hone your knives for hours without feeling tired.
The rod is made in China using high-quality material, and it comes with a lifetime guarantee. It doesn’t wear that easily, and you can be confident of getting value for your money.
- Offers value for money
- Comes with a comfortable handle
- For honing all knives
- Slightly shorter
5. Idahone Fine Ceramic Sharpening Rod
Idahone is a related company that is used and trusted by home and professional chefs. You can be sure that its rods are top-quality and will always get the job done with ease.
These particular sharpeners are made of quality alumina ceramic that makes them durable and one of the best in the market. Besides, the rods have been hardened enough to mimic diamond.
They also provide an exceptional cutting edge that gives up perfect results every time you hone your knife. Moreover, the handles are made of hard rock maple wood and come with hanging rings.
Thus, storing the rods is very easy as they don’t have to take up space. You should also wipe them after every use.
- Easy to wipe
- Comes with great handles
- For all knives
- Slightly costly
6. Cooks Standard Ceramic Rod Knife
Cooks Standard Ceramic Rod Knife is one of the tallest sharpens in this review, measuring 12 inches. It is made of durable and high-quality ceramic alumina – it is harder than steel.
Also, this material doesn’t rust with ease even when left under moist conditions. Its length makes it ideal for professional users as well as home users.
The handle was well-designed to ensure that you remain safe when honing your gears and is also comfortable to hold. What’s more, the handle has a stainless steel guard ring and cap that you can use to hang your equipment.
The rod should be cleaned using detergent and sponge after every use. Although you shouldn’t drop it on the floor, the rod is sturdy enough.
- Perfect for professional users
- Comes in a great design
- Comfortable handle
- Can easily break if dropped regularly
7. Green Elephant Knife Sharpening Rod
Green Elephant Knife Sharpening Rod is made of ceramic material that makes it a hard tool. That means it can last for years without getting damaged or wearing out no matter how you use it.
One unique feature is the shock absorber that protects the equipment from shattering when you drop it. That is all possible due to the silicon seal located between the ceramic and handle as well as the plastic end cap.
Unlike some rods out there, this model is comfortable to hold and lightweight. Hence, you get a safe and effortless sharpening experience, whether you are professional or newbie.
The sharpener is recommended for sharpening, realigning, and honing blades. It is made to keep your knives functioning at their pick by stroking one or two times at their edges.
You should use detergent to clean this tool and also air-dry it.
- 30-day guarantee
- Easy to handwash
- Absorb all the shock
- A bit heavy
8. Shenzhen Knives Ceramic Rod Knife Honing and Sharpening Steel
The rod was made for steel kitchen knives to maintain their razor-sharp edges. It is a ceramic unit that is harder than most honing instruments on the market today and does not rust.
With this sharpener, you can sharpen the edges of your knives, align them, and even make them ready for the next cutting. It is ideal for carving, hunting, chef, and cooking knives.
The other great feature is the ergonomic handle that lets you hold the rod for long without feeling tired. Besides, the handle has a rectangular blade guard which is wide enough to make you use it for long.
The guard is reinforced by a zinc alloy, and the tool cannot roll over to cause an accident. In terms of cleaning, you can use water, soap, and sponge to clean the surface of the sharpener.
- 100% satisfaction
- Easy to handle
- Simple to clean
Not for sharpening serrated blades
9. Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel
The Winware Stainless Steel Sharpening Steel is a 12 inches tool that you can use to hone all your knives. It comes with a handle of 5 inches that makes it easier to hold.
What’s more, this handle is made of a plastic material that is easy to maintain and doesn’t get damaged easily. The tool also boasts of fine edges that make it possible to sharpen the sides of your knife.
Besides, these edges realign your knives edge to make it more effective. For more accessible storage, the rod comes with a hanging loop located at the bottom – you can leave your sharpener hanging in the store.
It is also easy to clean the tool using a soft damp cloth. Its size is also ideal for working with different sized knives, and it feels heavy and solid.
- Feels heavy and solid
- Very affordable
- Hones all sizes of knives
Groove wears easily
10. Dalstrong Honing Steel
The Dalstrong Honing Steel is the professional rod for keeping all your knives in top condition by sharpening their edged and aligning them. That means your blades will always be ready for performance whenever you need them.
One unique thing about the honing steel is that it is handcrafted using durable stain-resistant carbon steel. Also, the tool is triple riveted to provide beauty and strength and has a solid grip handle.
It is also quite comfortable to hold the equipment due to its fantastic handle and its long 10 inches length. Ideal for most knives, you can hone your gears without getting tired for hours.
There is also a formed bolster that makes sure your hand remain safe when sharpening the knives. The model also comes with a guarantee that shows how highly the manufacturer trust in its products.
- For everyday use
- Made of strong material
- Safe when using
- Can easily break
Honing Steel Buying Guide
Here are a few things that can help you choose the right sharpening steel for knives.
- Know what you need – The first thing you should do is to know the type of knives you will be honing. Also, see whether you need a professional tool or for use at home.
- Grit – Find out whether the grit of the tool you want to buy is ideal for your knife. A finer grit will sharpen your knives better.
- Features – Choose a honing tool that aligns your blade when sharpening it. Get a model with a lot of extras.
- Handle – You should get a sharpener with the right handle – the one that fits in your hand. The grip should also be strong to ensure that it doesn’t come off quickly.
- Weight – The tool should have a stable weight to allow you to hone your knives better. Look for a balance between weight and comfort.
- Material – Most of our sharpeners are made of steel and ceramic materials. Go for strong materials that will last long.
- Length – You shouldn’t get a tool that is too long or too short. The overall length should be 9 to 12 inches.
- Hanging loop/ring – That a vital part of the equipment as it helps you to store your honing steel better.
- Washability – Some tools can be washed using soap and water while others require wiping. Also, you should consider getting a model that is dishwasher safe.
- Hand protector – That will ensure that you remain protected when sharpening your knives.
- Surface area – The surface area can minimize the effort you need to sharpen your gears. If you get a tool with a wide surface area, ensure that you have the right knives to hone with it.
- Compatibility – Here, you need to know which cutlery the tool can sharpen and which ones it cannot.
The Bottom Line
We have looked at the best honing steel on the market today and even given you a guide that you should follow when buying one. Now you can make an informed decision and buy a tool that will work for your needs.