Valentine’s Day is tomorrow, and you’ll notice this site has been pretty devoid of hearts and pink and ribbons. Well, that’s because both Brian and I have strong feelings about this day.
1) I hate pink.
2) It’s a day where girls get their expectations all high and then boys never deliver so instead of being overcome with love you just feel sort of annoyed/pissed. (You wanted a hot air balloon ride but got carnations instead. In other news, carnations smell like your grandmother’s closet.)
3) I make Brian yummy treats every day. Why the hell do I have to spend hundreds of dollars on a random day in February to convey that love when we have no real milestones in February. We celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, jobs well done, and fun times. No need for a capitalist driven fake holiday.
4) I eat chocolate like every day. I never need an excuse.
5) It makes my single friends feel like shit. It’s national “I’M ALL ALONE AND DRYING UP” day. That’s not cool. I have some amazing single friends, and I don’t need some stupid day on the calendar making them momentarily insecure.
And if you think my list is funny, just wait until you hear Brian’s suggestions on how to woo women over in tomorrow’s post. Romance is like Russian to him, so I feel pretty strongly you’re going to find his advice humorous.
Today, instead of a steak shaped like a heart with a hidden love message inside, we’re having shrimp and pasta. It’s messy to eat, totally un-romantic and delicious. Also, there’s a ton of garlic so your partner will really think that’s hot, too.
- shrimp - 1 pound, fresh, peeled, deveined
- garlic - 10 cloves, diced
- butter - 1 stick
- oregano - 1/4 cup, fresh
- lemon juice - 1 lemon
- salt and pepper - 1/2 teaspoon each
- buccatini - 1 pound
- panko bread crumbs - 1/2 cup
- parmesan - for serving