Today is election day. All over the country, people are stressed the eff out. And I get it, because I am too. While I try not to voice my political opinions here as to not offend the many of you who disagree on how this country should be run, I think it’s important to tell you all a few things about today.
1) Everyone is PMSing today. Men, women, vote talliers. All of us. Just be aware that bad attitudes are due largely in part to the monumental day that is deciding who runs the nation. Have a cookie. It helps.
2) Everyone is verbalizing their very important opinions and stance on politics today. Just is the nature of the beast people. Opinions are like assholes and guess what, there’s a children’s book about that! Just kidding. I don’t know if there is a children’s book about that but, as the saying goes, we’ve all got ‘em. Isn’t that what makes America so awesome?
3) Everyone handles this stress differently. But I, being the wise goat I am, know the one thing that can bring a nation divided together today. I know, you’re so lucky you came here! Carbs.
Because when you are stressed out, you just need to eat your feelings, amiright? You guessed it, what I am suggesting is that Election Day is also known as Eat All the Carbs Day. If we honored this concept, we’d be nicer to each other, our stress levels would drop, and maybe, just maybe, we’d remember to relate to one another.
And so I hope you can find common ground with one another tonight, through sweet potato gnocchi and bacon fat. Because if you can’t agree on that, there really is no hope.
- sweet potatoes - 2 pounds
- ricotta cheese - 12 ounces
- Parmesan cheese - 1 cup grated
- brown sugar - 2 tablespoons
- nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon grated
- flour - 2 3/4 cups
- salt and pepper - to taste
- thyme - 2 sprigs
- butter - 1 stick
- bacon - 1/2 pound
- brussels sprouts - 1 pound, halved
- maple syrup - 1/4 cup