Sometimes in our CSA share, we end up getting more greens than we know what to do with! Anyone who has experienced this can share with you that you start to sneak spinach into everything you eat, just to try and make a dent in your haul.
It’s always my hope to inspire you to look differently at your ingredients and to allow yourself to wander outside of the proverbial CSA box. For example, I knew that it was the end of my week with my CSA share, and I still had enough spinach to feed an army. I also knew that beets regularly made me feel stuck in a rut. How many times can we really eat roasted beets?
So with these two dilemmas in mind, I decided to make a spinach and artichoke dip to use up my surplus of spinach, and beet chips to scoop that deliciousness up.
A few things happened here:
1) I felt like I could eat more of that cheesy goodness because I was using my own, unprocessed, homemade chip.
2) I felt like I could eat more of that cheesy goodness because it was CHOCK FULL of spinach.
Such a win. Anything to make the cheese justified in my house.
A party appetizer straight from your CSA.
- fresh spinach - 1 pound, blanced and chopped
- frozen artichoke hearts - 1 cup, thawed
- cream cheese - 8 ounces
- mayonnaise - 1/4 cup
- parmesan - 1/2 cup, freshly grated
- sour cream - 1/2 cup
- red pepper flakes - 1/2 teaspoon
- garlic powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- beets - 3, peeled and thinly sliced
- olive oil - 2 tablespoons
- salt and pepper - to taste
Just a reminder that Whit’s Amuse Bouche readers will receive a 5% discount on any purchase from Grant Family Farms by entering FARMFRESHAB at check out! You should probably get on that!