Restaurant Style

I am going to let you in on a secret.

It’s one I carry in my back pocket everywhere I go.  I feel even more inclined to tell you this secret after watching last night’s top chef, where it became clear that even some of the greatest minds in the culinary world don’t know it.

It’s the very best, most delicious and perfect way to cook a steak.  Leave your grill for vegetables, heaven forbid your steak should touch those grates.  (Yes, I sure do realize that men across America are either gasping or straight PISSED at me right now. Sorr, kids. Ur dad taught you wrong.)  And if you don’t believe me, come to my house and I will prove it.  I’ll go head to head with any man in America who thinks they can cook a steak on the grill better than I can in my kitchen.

You just got served.

Anyway. The best way, guys, they call it ‘Restaurant Style”.

You know when you go to Joe’s Steak and Crab, and it’s the best steak you’ve ever had?  NOT GRILLED, SON.

Restaurant Style.

It’s pan seared in butter and finished in the oven.  It’s the perfect medium rare and it’s the most flavorful, delish, heavenly dish of all time when done correctly.

Also, my apologies to any vegetarians who read this, not because it’s all about meat but I’m mostly sorry that you can’t taste excellence.

It also goes without saying that a perfectly cooked filet mignon pairs perfectly with an 08 Hill Family Estate Atlas Peak Cab Sauv.

Boom.

Restaurant Style Filet Mignon

By Whitney, December 8, 2011

Restaurant Style Filet Mignon

The best steak you've put anywhere near your face.

Ingredients:

Instructions:

DISCLAIMER: The reason this dish is so amazing is due mostly in part to having the very best, most fresh ingredients possible.  That means high grade salt, it means pepper ground right in front of you by a pepper mill.  It means fresh herbs and it means REAL BUTTER.  The good news is that these are all things you should already have in your house. Take 1/2 stick of butter, softened, and mix well with the peeled, chopped garlic, the chopped herbs, and the lemon zest.  Form into a log and refrigerate.  Generously season the filet's with salt and pepper, approximately 1 teaspoon of seasoning per side. Heat the remainder of the butter (1/2 stick) and the olive oil in a cast iron skillet to a screaming hot temperature.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.   Sear the filets in a screaming hot pan for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until a nice brown crust has formed. While the steak is searing, continue to spoon the residual butter in the pan on top of the meat while it's cooking.  Once both sides are seared, place in the center of the oven for about 6-8 minutes, depending upon how thick your steak is.  In the last minute of cooking, take the log of compound butter and slice a nice thick piece to place on top. Your steak will be ready when it is approximately 135 degrees in the center, or when you push lightly on the top center of the steak and it gently and slowly bounces back.  (Note, this is medium rare kids. Some people don't like to eat cows while they are mooing, so clearly you can cook longer if your afraid of the pink.)

And there you have it.  It’s as simple as can be, as most the best things in life are. And I dare you to tell me of a better way to eat filet.

Love,

Whit

Share It!

Whitney

About Whitney

Whitney is the Founder of Whit's Amuse Bouche, a nationally recognized food and humor blog. When she's not in the kitchen, you can find her with a glass of california cabernet in one hand and a hot glue gun in the other. She prefers sweat pants to real ones. View all posts by Whitney →

440 Responses to Restaurant Style

1. We prepare steak in a similar way, using Ina’s Steakhouse Steak recipe, and, you’re right, it’s SO much better in an iron skillet than on a grill. Also, medium rare is most delicious by far. I’ll adjust your recipe and include herbs in the butter. Heavenly!

• Restaurant Style Filet Mignon

By Whitney, December 8, 2011
        Restaurant Style Filet Mignon

The best steak you’ve put anywhere near your face.
        Ingredients:

filet mignon – 2, 8 ounce filets
        kosher salt – 4 teaspoons
        freshly cracked pepper – 4 teaspoons
        butter – 1 stick
        olive oil – 1 tablespoon
        garlic – 2 cloves, chopped
        parsley – 1 tablespoon, chopped
        thyme – 1 tablespoon, chopped
        lemon zest – 1 teaspoon

Instructions:
        DISCLAIMER: The reason this dish is so amazing is due mostly in part to having the very best, most fresh ingredients possible. That means high grade salt, it means pepper ground right in front of you by a pepper mill. It means fresh herbs and it means REAL BUTTER. The good news is that these are all things you should already have in your house. Take 1/2 stick of butter, softened, and mix well with the peeled, chopped garlic, the chopped herbs, and the lemon zest. Form into a log and refrigerate. Generously season the filet’s with salt and pepper, approximately 1 teaspoon of seasoning per side. Heat the remainder of the butter (1/2 stick) and the olive oil in a cast iron skillet to a screaming hot temperature. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Sear the filets in a screaming hot pan for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until a nice brown crust has formed. While the steak is searing, continue to spoon the residual butter in the pan on top of the meat while it’s cooking. Once both sides are seared, place in the center of the oven for about 6-8 minutes, depending upon how thick your steak is. In the last minute of cooking, take the log of compound butter and slice a nice thick piece to place on top. Your steak will be ready when it is approximately 135 degrees in the center, or when you push lightly on the top center of the steak and it gently and slowly bounces back. (Note, this is medium rare kids. Some people don’t like to eat cows while they are mooing, so clearly you can cook longer if your afraid of the pink.)

And there you have it. It’s as simple as can be, as most the best things in life are. And I dare you to tell me of a better way to eat filet.

Love,

• Every one was having a hard time finding the recipe, so I posted it. I am trying it tonight. Just put the butter in the refrigerator to season until tonight. Thank you for a great recipe.

• Holly macroll I cooked it exactly by the instructions & my steak lovin hubby & 3 yr old daughter loved it 1-10 my husband said 11 & he’s an honest critic when it comes to meat!!!! Awesome thank you. :) >

Tina Curtis says: January 23, 2013 at 2:58 am
  2. So I made this. Tonight. Almost to your specifications (cooked a bit longer because I had an 8oz filet and my BF had a 12oz — how sweet! His and hers filets, I know.). Except that I mixed up two food blogs and topped these with crumbled bleu cheese and pinot noir butter (on top of your herb butter).

So… basically, I ate the most amazing steak of my life tonight and I’m going to give you most of the credit and the rest for the sheer fact that it was SMOTHERED in butter and cheese.

BEST NIGHT EVER. Oh, and your point about fresh ingredients is spot on. Got this cut from a local butcher and I have NEVER had beef this good. Ever.

3. esta receita é simples, porém em termos de sabores combinados é fantástica. merece um ótimo vinho e alguém especial para nos acompanhar no jantar. Congratulações!

4. This technique works! I heat my cast iron skillet in a 500′ oven then put it on the stove top to get it even hotter! Sears the outside of the steaks so great. Make sure to keep a close check on the steaks expecially when they’re thinner! I found the recipe online from a New Orleans chef! Thanks for your extra tips!

5. Want to do this so bad – only thing missing is the correct stove top to get my cast iron skillet screaming hot – I have a glass top electric and I don’t think I’m supposed to use cast iron on it. Any comments on this?

• whelp i have a glass top electric and just dont give a shit because i dont own it. BUT you can heat your oven and skillet up to 500, then place your skillet on a griddle or the grill if you want. Good Luck Brandi!

• Oops, I use the cast iron skillet on my glass top with great results. My only bad part has been the smoke from the skillet. Now I will finish my steak in the OVEN. I love steak this way and have been using iron skillet for years. Now we won’t have so much smoke! Thanks for the drooling picture too.

• I don’t have a cast iron skillet anymore either, and I so wanted to make this tonight. BOO! any ideas Ladies? Will non-stick produce the same results?

• NO! Again, NO! Cast iron skillets are dirt cheap. Go buy one before you make this recipe. Non-sticks can release toxins when they are heated to a very high temperature, and they don’t allow fond to collect in the bottom because nothing sticks to them. You need the fond to make a pan sauce to go with the steak. Save the non-stick to use in the morning for your fried eggs. Better yet, throw it away.

Chris DeBaun says: January 6, 2013 at 4:52 am
        • No….you are not suppose to heat non stick that hot, it will burn and let off toxic vapors. However you may us all alluminum (sp). That is what most restaurants use.

• Same here! (except I own the glasstop, hubby won’t let me get a gas stove. :( )
        No problems with the cast iron. However, I did have some jam boil over and that’s where my one problem area is.

• I found this tip on Pinterest, but if you fill your sink with soapy water, soak some dishcloths in it, sprinkle baking soda on your stove, then lay the soapy cloths on the gross spillover… Set the timer for 15 minutes, then come back and scrub at it with the soapy cloths… You’ll get rid of most of the stains… You may have to repeat it once or twice, but I swear by this method now!
          Ps, that steak looks delicious and I can’t wait to make it this way!!! :D

• Marie: clean up is a breeze with just a one edged razor blade – like you use to clean up paint – it works great and won’t scratch. All home improvement stores sell these plastic encase, retractable blade things for less than a dollar.

• Brandi, I have a glass top and have heard not to use cast iron on it. But my wife loves cast iron and so I tried researching it and found no convincing reason not to do so. The best I could find was the cast iron could cause a heat buildup between the skillet and the glass, but we have had absolutely no trouble and have had the range for about two years. My opinion? I think that the ranger manufacturers are worried you will break the glass because the cast iron is so heavy (just be gentle). Also, I think that the cast iron manufacturers are also hesitant to endorse the use of the cookware on glass tops for fear of lawsuits or other trouble. Just be careful and I think it will be fine.

• I have a ceramic top stove also and I was told that the cast iron gets to hot and may burn it. AND may scratch your glasstop. That would not make me happy but hearing the above from Kev and that they use their cast iron, I am willing to try it. Thanks!

• Kev is absolutely right. As far as scratching the glass goes, if you are careful not to slide the cast iron around on it, you’re fine. I do this all the time and have never had a problem. And, if you do get a burned spot, get some ‘bar keepers friend’ and a wet paper towel and it comes right off.

• UH-OH! sorry, Jane. My Castiron is so heavy that im not usually moving it around much so there isn’t a worry to scratch the surface

• You can use a cast iron skillet on glass top, just don’t bang it around like you would on a gas stove. I use ceramic coasted cast iron pot on my glass top.

• Brandi, I’ve used cast iron for 12 years with my glass top stove and had no problems. Like others have stated, just be gentle when moving the pans around. I wouldn’t recommend placing a screaming hot pan on a cold burner either. Heat the burner first.

6. I did this once before because our grill ran out of gas! I had to google quickly what to do with my steaks so we could still have dinner! My husband was skeptical- but after we tasted the first bite we decided steaks don’t go on the grill anymore!! I’m “pinning” this so I remember to do the butter next time!

7. Thing 1 – Found you through the Pinterest rabbit hole of the interwebs and thank God I did, because

Thing 2 – you FUNNY. I like-a da funny.

Thing 3 – I RARELY eat meat (pun intended), and I cannot WAIT to try this recipe this weekend for a belated VD meal. Um, YUM.

merci,
    Shannan

8. Pingback: And I would do anything for love… « mamamash

9. Guess what!?! We are having STEAK for our home-made Valentine Dinner…and guess how we are cooking it! Can’t wait! Thanks for the tip!!!

• girlfriend yeas you can! just shorten your cook time to make sure you don’t over cook the meat. Thinner cuts take less time in the oven!

• you don’t have to. I would use stainless with a GOOD amount of butter to make sure it doesn’t stick. What’s better is that seared brown business thats left in your pan – add some stock and butter to that and it will be the best sauce of your life.

• So I made this tonight. I used a stainless pan. So is the butter supposed to burn? Don’t get me wrong. The steaks tasted great. I just don’t cook with burnt butter normally. I think I need a cast iron skillet!

10. Looks so yummy! Quick question, I understand you sear the top and bottom, but do you sear the sides too?

Another quick and dumb question, I have often wondered – how do you “soften” the butter? Like leave it out for a while or is there a trick to it, like microwave? errr.

• PJ – great questions! nope I don’t sear the sides. Also, no, there is not quick way to soften butter, just leave it out on the counter for an hour or two. once you melt butter in the microwave, there is no turning back.

• FYI if you put your butter in the microwave on the normal setting for 14 sec its softens the butter perfectly like you let it sit our for an hour!!! No melting just perfect!!

• Saw on Pinterest recently that you can soften butter by rolling it between two sheets of wax paper with a rolling pin until it’s about 1/4 inch thick–brilliant for those of us who wait until the last minute!

• I read somewhere to soften butter you could put it in the microwave at 50% power for 30 sec. or something like that, it’s been working well for me, I just can’t ever remember how long and end up checking it often. This looks so yummy, I’ve wondered how they did it at the steak houses. Thanks!

11. Spot on. Have done steaks like this before (yes, on my glass top) and it’s like Ruth’s Chris at home. Thanks for sharing. And the 08 Hill Family Cab is YES! Cheers!

12. Ok, so firstly, I totally agree with you about the grill. It doesn’t do the steak any justice….that being said, neither does a frying pan if thats all you do to it. I have been intimidated from cooking steaks (too expensive to screw up) hence it was a great excuse to go out to dinner. Now however, I am ready to tackle it…despite the fact that it is only 9:30 in the morning here in the UK as I read this. Is it bad to be craving steak so early….I think not. Trip to the local farm shop, and steak for lunch – yes please!

13. My husband and I tried this last night and that was the best steak I have EVER eaten! (I squeezed a little fresh lemon juice on each steak before seasoning them…just something I was taught to do by an amazing Lebanese chef.)

14. Gorgeous! Exactly the way I cook my steaks – grilling is a pain and never tastes as well, PLUS you eliminate the possibility of a nice reduction pan sauce, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Love the pictures, too!

15. I made this last night for Valentine’s Dinner. It was amazing! My husband is a die hard “grill your steak” fan, but we don’t have a grill so I told him to trust me. I bought three 8oz filets and I got our skillet way too hot and caught half of the seasoned butter on fire! Thankfully my husband put it out before I burned my kitchen down! I only used about half the amount of salt and pepper (I bought salted butter) and we used regular butter in the skillet and put the seasoned butter on top afterwards. It was still the best steak either of us have ever eaten! And we have eaten a lot of steak! Thank you so much for the recipe!

16. Tried this steak this evening & all I have to say is……….oh my goodness, that is the best piece of meat I have EVER put in my mouth!! It was absolutely wonderful! Thank you for sharing this, I will never put steak on the grill again!!

17. Maybe I’m just blind, but I can’t find on here what temperature to heat your oven too. Pumped to try this, I just need an oven temp!

18. oh my. I have to agree that this is the best way. I broke out my cast iron grill pan last night for the steaks — and it just wasn’t as good as it could’ve been.
    My question that I always have is —- what temp exactly is “screaming hot” My dial goes H to 9 and then down to 1. What is the perfect temp to prevent the “smoking”? Does that make sense?

• well i’d put it on an 8 but it depends on how hot your stove gets. you want to bring your butter RIGHT to it’s smoke point but not over. Clearly your steak is going to smoke as soon as it hits the pan. You want it as hot as it will go before you start to burn that butter. Hope this helps, it’s different for every range!

19. Pingback: Foede Family Blog » Blog Archive » About Love

20. Made this for dinner and it was soooooo simple AND amazing! I used a thick cut NY steak and cut in half to mimic the two filet mignons. Thanks for this great recipe! Will definitely add it to my favorites list!

21. I know this is true…because of watching Gordon Ramsey on Hell’s Kitchen, everyone of them chef’s he’s training start out cooking the meat on the stove and finish in the oven! I’m so gonna have to try this! Thanks!

22. I was just at the grocery store today, picked up 2 filet mignon steaks and then promptly put them back down. Why waste my money on this delicious goodness when I have not yet figured out how to properly cook them. I can’t even properly grill the suckers without them shriveling up into a little piece of beef jerky.

4 hours later I log on to pinterest and find this site.

You have changed my life forever!

Thank you!!!

23. Oh my gosh!!!! This is the best tasting way 2 fix steak. Amazingly delicious. Made this for our Valentine’s dinner! So delicious even with a different steak than listed…doesn’t matter. Thank u for sharing this fabulous recipe! It’s a winner!!! :)

24. I have to feed a crowd for my Daughters Birthday and she requested steak. There is no way I can afford to feed 8-10 people Filet Mignon. We have champagne tastes with beer pockets. LOL
    This s would work with London Broil cut too right, maybe not as buttery tender but the flavor is what we are going for, right?

Thanks

25. I can’t BELIEVE I’ve been cooking steak so WRONG all these years!!! I definitely have done the cast iron skillet thing w/ tons of butter, but never seared it and then put it in the oven. Who woulda thunk it?? You’re like THE MISSING LINK! Thanks so much!!

26. I’m anxious to try this. The best steak I ever had was at Ruth’s Chris Steak House, and there was butter on it, but I’ve never tried it that way. I don’t usually like thyme in anything. Is there another seasoning I could use? Or could I just leave it out without affecting the taste too much?

Thanks so much!

• Kathy, you need herbs. you can use rosemary or sage if you like? really any herb will work, but those are the most comparable.

27. Wow, wandered over here from pinterest & so glad I found you! I’m stuck in an apartment & not allowed to have a grill & had resigned myeslf to the fact that I couldn’t have a really good steak and home, so would only eat it when I was out.

HA! I’m gonna go buy some steak & try this out – can’t wait! Thanks for saving this steak-loving, apartment-living girl! :)

28. I HATE grilling…everyone always says its so easy! I think its a pain in the you know what! Will DEFINITELY try this recipe ASAP.

29. Hubby and I both can’t do the medium rare… more like medium well… can you give me an approx time to cook on each side? Sounds so delish!!!!!!

30. All is not lost, grill masters! The key is starting with the right ingredients, searing the meat to lock in juices, and cooking at uniform heat for just a few minutes. Exactly the same effects can be obtained on the grill. Just use a preheated skillet inside the grill to brown the meat with the cover open, then finish the grilling with the cover closed, but vented. Le meme chose.

31. My husband and I have been cooking our steak like this for years. I am always glad to see someone else rave about it b/c people never believe me when I tell them that I can prepare them a perfect steak from my oven and that it will blow their way (on the grill) away. I always tell them once they try it this way they will never grill a steak again!

32. I did this for our valentine’s day dinner. Except I had some strip steaks from the supermarket. So, I combined your method with another blogger’s to put a whole ton of coarse salt on it, and let it sit for an hour and a half. It turned what would have been a tough steak into a very awesome meal.

33. Holy Smokin’ Cast Iron Cookin’…found you on Pinterest and I cannot wait to fix this recipe for my meat lovin’ man. :)

You can cook like a pro and you are one funny girl. <3

34. This really is the best way to cook it. My father was a butcher and this is how he always cooked his steak, even back in 1951 and it’s funny but I have been telling people that forever and they all think I’m crazy…..But here it is in back and white.
    Thanks for backing me up.
    Rose

35. Welcome Home from Deployment Honey, here is an awesome steak!

If I only had this a few weeks ago! Oh, well! Look out Sunday dinner, it’s steak and beer!!

36. Also my favorite way to eat a steak, however I have a problem with the pan smoking when I put nit in the oven, any suggestions as to why?

• Debbie, it’s one of 2 things, theres something in your oven which fell from its pan and is causing the smoke, or it’s your butter. I never worry about a little smoke so long as whatever is in there isn’t burning. It’s because the oven temp is higher than the smoke point of butter.

37. This looks absolutely amazing!!! It makes me want to rush out to the local butcher shop for a big ol’ steak right now…and it’s only 8:40 in the morning. I will definitely be trying this soon!

38. Pingback: our week(s) « matt ♥ hannah

39. Help!! Am really excited to try this method. I just don’t know if I can use my cast iron skillet. It has been stored in the basement and is a bit rusted. Do you know if it can be restored to a satisfactory condition or do I need to get a new one?

• depends sister, but here is how you can try to restore it. You need to reseason your pan, you can do this one of 2 ways. A) you can grease your pan up really good with vegetable oil and put it in a 400 degree oven for an hour (open your windows, its gonna stink) or you can fry chicken in your pan to restore it’s condition. When you say rust, do you mean like a little on the handle or rust in the base of the pan? Once you have the pan reseasoned, all you have to do is rinse it with hot water and take a paper towel dipped in oil and run it over the pan to help it keep it’s season. Does this help you at all?

40. I cook fish almost exactly like this! Never thought to do it with steak but I’m going to try it tonight! Restaurant steaks do taste different than what I cook at home…I always wondered what they did to them. Great blog!

41. We LOVE steak and I will be trying this and hopefully NOT burning down the kitchen in the process. My mouth is watering already!

• You may have a hard time getting him to back away from the Egg, at least if he is as crazy about it as my husband lol. The best meals (including steak–far superior to any restaurant steak we have had) I have had have came from my hubby cooking on his Big Green Egg. I may try using the butter and herbs from this recipe. I don’t like filet mignon (texture bothers me) and we are a strictly ribeye family here lol. I knew about using this method for filets from a chef I met several years ago. I haven’t ever had a Ruth Chris steak (not one around here).

42. Great looking recipe. One quick question: When finishing in the oven do you keep it in the iron skillet or do you use a different pan?

Thx!!!

43. OMG! I just prepared this steak for dinner to surprise my hubby. He’s not quite home yet and I’m having to use serious self control not to tear into this without him! My kitchen smells amazing and just looking at this plate of heaven is enough to make me drool! This is a carnivore’s dream.

44. Wandered over here from Pinterest. I have tried something similar to this before which turned out well texture wise, but was missing something taste wise. Now that I see yours with the herbs and butter (oh so much butter) I see where I went wrong. I can’t wait to try this!

45. Concur all around! Love the compound butter on the filets too. In a pinch, a dab or two of Boursin works. We discovered this technique when the kids left for college & didn’t want to fire up the grill for the two of us and use it for any meat we would have done on the grill.

A few other hints: we use the cast iron on our glass top stove, no problems, but I only use cast iron on one specific burner & then make sure it is scrubbed clean with no grit btwn uses.

If you need to thaw cold butter quickly to make this compound butter — shred it using the coarsest shredder or microplane you have. Can also pulse process cold butter a time or two.

46. Ok this is a silly question but how do you clean the cast iron skillet after u cook with it ? I have never used one cause I was told u can’t wash them so I always thought that was gross so I never used one !

47. Looks wonderful. But to say a steak on the grill can’t be equally delicious seems like a bit of a loaded statement. I agree optimum product is the way to go, and some form of caramelization on the outside is crucial, but a grill can lend that also. The compound butter is an excellent addition as well. The way we cook steaks in my restaurant is we cook the steak half way on the char broiler, then top it with an herb Compound butter, then roast it to tem

48. Just had to say this is exactly how my husbands cooks steaks and has for years. SOOO much better than the grill. It’s the best.

49. I made this tonight and LOVED the flavor, HOWEVER, I almost caught my kitchen on fire!!!!! I read the directions to heat my cast iron skillet to “screaming hot”, so I did. lol OMG, when I poured the olive oil and butter into the skillent, it went up in flames! Thank Goodness, my husband was in the room and was able to grab the skillet and take it outside. The flames were 2 feet high! Anyway, after we got past that I heated my stainless steel skillet and proceeded with the recipe. What did I do wrong? I heated the pan over high heat. Was I supposed to use medium or medium high?

Judy Stocker says: February 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm
  50. You mean to tell me that because I’m just too lazy most of the time to drag out, uncover, scrap of the crusty burnt remains of the last burgers we grilled, preheat, drag all the food outside, stand in the sun, try to ignore the pleading eyes of my dog whilst I grill…that I have already been cooking our steaks like the big boys do??? In my trusty cast iron skillet in my nice cozy kitchen!? I”llbedurned! :)

51. OK I just LOVE your enthusiasm. You’re awesome!
    I’ll have to try this. My Father-in-law is a steak lover and he makes an amazing steak (so long as he doesn’t over cook it :) ). And my husband found an AWESOME marinade The Montreal Steak Spice Marinade… with Montreal Steak spice of course, oil, soya sauce and minced garlic. The meat marinades for an hour then you broil sitting in a bit of the marinade juices 5 minutes each side until cooked. But I REALLY have to try your new way. It sounds amazing… minus the drink :) .
    Thanks for sharing!

52. Yep, that’s how I make my steak minus the butter but I will try that. I don’t have great ventilation in my place so it ends up smokey in here. But it makes a perfect steak. I use the same technique for cooking salmon as well. Good stuff

53. I tried something VERY similar to this and i was amazed at how AMAAAAZING the steaks turned out! SO glad to know what restuarants really do with their steaks…HEAVEN I tell you!
    Your recipe is waaaay more detailed then the one I made up lol – I’m going to have to steal some of those herbs and give it a try for sure! Thanks!!!!!!

54. I made these tonight and they were great, I was a little hesitant to put too much seasoning on the steaks them selves, husband has high BP, so did not get carried away, but other than that, oh and I had no lemon zest, but the steaks were juicy and tender and just superb, just have to get the right amount of seasoning, so from now on STEAKS are cooked indoors and in the large HEAVY cast iron frying pan!! Thanks much, was very good, ate the whole thing!!!

Donna

55. People have looked at me funny when I tell them I prefer my steaks fried in a frying pan. At least I know there are people out there who agree.

56. Thank you!!!! I scored big points in the kitchen tonight:) My husband and I bought a couple of filets from our local farm to use for this recipe. OH MY…it melted in our mouths…seriously!
    I’m so glad I found this on Pinterest!

57. I was skeptical about this because I love a juicy grilled steak but I tried this recipe tonight and was AMAZED! The steaks came out PERFECTLY! The butter was an amazing addition! Thank you very much for introducing me to this!

58. Give some love to Pinterest! You’ve been Pinned (and repinned) several times. That’s how I found you and how to cook a great steak. I’m definitely going to try it!

cosmeticgirl says: February 27, 2012 at 9:19 am
  59. You had me at “stick of butter”

I just so happen to be making steak tonight. It’s not Filet, but it’s all good. Off to soften some butter & get some seasonings together!

60. YES! You have articulated my beliefs on steak prep perfectly!! I CRINGE when my husband pulls out the charcoal or even worse, the grill pan (I have really grown to hate that thing). As far as I am concerned, pan searing is the ONLY way to cook a good steak.

61. Our local steak house here in Michigan “Lucky’s” serves Zip sauce with their filet. I get Zip sauce at the local butcher shop, you melt butter and then add a small amount of the sauce, amazing. I’ve never tried making filet at home but will now give it a try, can’t wait.
    Thanks

62. Pingback: {workin’ girl} | nouveau

63. I love to eat at one of the top steak restaurants: The Pine Club, and I must say your steak recipe is BETTER! Love it!

64. I would never cook a steak in butter and ruin it. I absolutely hate butter. So from now on I will have to tell them no butter on my steak if you use it. Do you think all places use butter? I may never eat in a steak house again. I will try your way without the butter tho. I have cooked steak on top of stove before tho. My son can grill a steak better than any place I know or anyone I know. Love all your comments.

65. Rookie chef here! If I wanted there to be less pink do I leave it longer in the skillet or in the oven.

Thanks!

66. I learned this recipe from cooking with Julia and Jacques and have used it ever since. I also cook pork chops (thick ones) and lamb in a similar manner. If you put shallots in the skillet with the butter it makes it even better……. deglaze the pan with some wine or brandy and use that over the steak instead of the pat of butter and it is even tastier.

67. Pingback: Recipes | Pearltrees

68. I apologize, this is a long one.

Whitney, in response to someone asking you about what they may use in place of a cast iron skillet: “I have nonstick and stainless what would be better?”, you answered, “You don’t have to. I would use stainless with a GOOD amount of butter to make sure it doesn’t stick. ***What’s better is that seared brown business thats left in your pan – add some stock and butter to that and it will be the best sauce of your life.***”

Would you please be so kind as to elaborate on what that “seared brown business” would be, and how to go about the rest to come up with that sauce? I can see a few different possibilities, and I want to avoid assuming the wrong one, if possible. Is that “brown business” going to be something that will require scraping off the pan, somehow? Does it include only the butter and olive oil, or also parts of burnt steak? Approximately how much stock and butter should we add? And I assume one reduces it down quite a bit, to their preferred thickness? Is that correct?

Lastly, would you suggest this alternative method to grilling for hamburgers, as well? If so, any detailed suggestions of how to go about it would be very appreciated.

Thanks so much for your extreme patience in reading all of that, and in any answers you are kind enough to provide.

And thanks so much for what you have provided here, as I expect it to turn out awesome, and I know we all appreciate your turning us on to this superior method of cooking steaks.

Cheers! : )

69. Oh, and one other thing about cooking hamburgers this way: If it is something that you think would also be superior to using a grill, in addition to various things like cook temp., time, suggested thickness of the burgers, and whatnot, I would also really like to know what you would suggest for seasoning it. Use all the same things as you suggest to use for the steaks, or what different?

Again, thank you so much for all your time, help, and patience. : )

I can’t wait to show all of those stubborn headed guys I know that it can be done better. And when they realize this after the first bite, I will have everyone make a toast to Whitney, with their glass of 08 Hill Family Estate Atlas Peak Cab Sauv. in hand. : )

• Their own post, or an entire book. : )

Hope you haven’t forgotten about me, I’m still looking forward to your answers.

70. Just to be certain, do you suggest using salted, or unsalted butter? I am guessing unsalted. I ask because you specifically mention to use “unsalted” butter in your recipe for Filet Tournedos, but here you only say to use “butter”. And when you stress to use REAL BUTTER, what do you mean exactly by “REAL”? Real, as in not margarine or other butter substitutes?

• Natalie, Great question! I never ever under any circumstances use salted butter. If I say butter or unsalted butter, I always mean unsalted. Also, yes, don’t use margarine, and look at the back of your butter package to make sure you can pronounce everything. The higher quality the product, the better results you’ll have! Good luck!

• Whit, Thank you so much for your thorough reply. I guess the one thing I am left a little unsure of is how exactly to best know or judge the level of quality in the butter one buys. Besides making sure all the ingredients are pronounceable, what else does one look for in a high quality butter, to determine that it is indeed high quality?

71. Do you just put the cast iron pan in the oven ? No transferring to anything diffrent?

Sorry I’m learning new ways to cook, my mom used a cast iron pan when I was younger.

I never used my cast iron skillet yet anything special I need to do before I use it

Any help thanks !
    Ash

72. Pingback: Beautiful Filet | Steak-Enthusiast.com

73. I would love to try this recipe but I am having difficulty trying to find the actual recipe. Could you help me? Thanks :)

74. I made this last night!!! Seriously the MOST delicious steak I’ve had outside of a restaurant. Girl, I love your style and your taste! Thank you!!!

75. Loved your write up. I also cook my steaks in a cast iron and finish in the oven. But I am going to try your herb butter for sure…Thanks!

76. Sooo glad too see this posted !! Yes yes yes to this recipe. My dad was chef and I learned to create the perfectly cooked steaks many years ago. Don’t waste the beautiful cuts of meat you buy. If you want well done that’s your choice, just don’t hate the rest of us!

77. I used this recipe to cook dinner last night. My sons are in the living room right now playing a video game. In the middle of a conversation completely unrelated to food, one of them just suddenly blurted out “that steak last night was sooo good, I can’t stop thinking about it.” I think that means I need to bookmark this page. :-)

78. Great recipe but I am going to go out on a limb here and let you know that there is a better and even more simple way. I have been doing filets for my friends and family for years and I have converted many to medium rare because of the way I make it. I have even converted some that don’t like red meat. I have yet to hear anyone say they have ever had a better steak, anywhere. I am open to the possibility but I bet I could convert you if you are interested. If your picture is that actual steak you cooked using this recipe, you will even notice a visual difference using my method. Let me know if you want to try. It is on a grill….sorry.

79. May be the best steak I’ve had ANYWHERE. I’m going to try cooking my marinated beef fajitas this way – looks like how they do it in the restaurants, it comes out in a hot cast iron pan with sauteed onions… Skirt steak is so thin, probably just needs the searing, no oven time…

80. I made our steaks this way for Valentine’s Day for my wife and I last year, it is ultra delicious! The recipe I had didn’t have as much butter, but I’m certainly going to try that out next time. However, we made ours with the most delicious sauce on earth:

1/2 c. Beef broth
    1/2 c. Red Wine

When you take the steak out of the oven, put the steaks on your plates to let it rest and absorb the juices, while it does that, mix these together, pour into the same cast iron pan, and scrape the drippings into it. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced by half. Best sauce of my life and ultra easy. Was amazing with the homemade baguettes.

81. Pingback: How To Cook The PERFECT Steak . . . In Your Cooler! | One Good Thing by Jillee

82. There is a steakhouse here in Charlotte that prepares their steaks the same way. Only with one of those high temp broilers. It is by far the best steak I have ever eaten. This is how my next steaks will be made.

Andy Charlotte NC says: August 12, 2012 at 11:50 am
  83. Thanks for the great recipe! I’ve always thought I couldn’t cook steak since I don’t have a grill. Now I know better :) I just finished making a filet this way and it was amazing! It was like treating myself to a steakhouse dinner in my own kitchen!

84. I was so excited about this. MasterChef inspired me to cook the steaks instead of my hubby, & then I realized…. I HAVE NO CAST IRON SKILLET. I am heart broken.

• I would have no idea where mine is after all this time either, but I read above about using a non stick! Read through the comments.. I am nervous as i tried this years ago in a non cast iron, and it was a disaster– we wound up going out at 9pm for dinner! Now, that wont be so easy with baby in tow, so im hoping it works right – or maybe ill go buy a cast iron

85. sounds amazing but realistically, judging from the photos, it’s raw. Sorry but I can’t eat meat like that. I’ll have to cook it a lot more! But I’m willing to try the technique.

86. Pingback: wiaw: {my weekend at home eats + p’s birthday dinner} | Love Mint Chocolate Chip

87. So as i began to read this i called BS right off of the bat, Because i am a hardcore grillin’ bacon eating man! Then i went to the grocery store right after and bought 2 small fillets. Cooked one on the grill with my best mixture of seasoning and the other your way…………Lets just say DAMN!!! i will NEVER cook steak on a grill unless it is bottom of the shelf and i cannot find a stove/oven……I will be following this site religiously from now on. You have changed my life! lol

88. I don’t have a cast iron skillet but would love to try this for my “Best Half”..I have a great set of stainless cookware, can I get the same results. I think it would work great with My absolute fav wine, Silver Oak. It’s expensive but well worth it.

Robin Millsaps says: November 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm
  89. I had a friend who worked at the Cisco Kitchen and they would use a cast iron grill pan, sear the meat of both sides for the grill marks and then toss it in the oven for 3 minutes per side. Thanks for your tips and the herbs sound wonderful!

90. I totally beat my boyfriend at cooking the steaks this way. He’s no longer the king of steak at jome anymore!! Thanks so much girl!!! You’re my new hero!! Xoxo

91. Hubby is cooking this tonight for our anniversary. However he is just using a regular pan and then switching it to a baking dish, hope it turns out good!

92. OMGeeee – I just made this and it was absolutely divine. Thank you for showing me how I can make a great steak even when my boyfriend is away. Now I have to convince him to step away from the grill and let me show him how a real steak is made!
    I discovered you via pinterest and am now devouring your blog…love your style, love that you are a local girl (I’m in Boulder) and can’t wait to try more of your delicious recipes!

93. This is awesome! I’ve always cooked chicken and pork tenderloin in my cast iron this way. Never my filets though. I’ve done this three times now with huge satisfaction. Tonight for my steak and arugula salad recipe and it’s wonderful. I do love the grill, but hate grilling once it starts to get cold. This is my go to from now on. Thanks for posting!!!

94. I’ll also add that I use my cast iron skillets…three of them…on my ceramic stovetop with no prob in three years. I don’t beat the stovetop up with them and I only use vinegar and water to clean. No problems.

95. I made my steak like this tonight. AWESOME!!!! I will never make a steak any other way again. I took other users comments and took the battery out of my smoke detector.

96. Wow! This made my mouth water! I absolutely love steak (medium rare of course)! I’m getting ready to move into my own house with the boyfriend so I’m stocking up on recipes. :) He makes steak occasionally and he thinks he’s king. He does make the best steak I’ve ever had but once I make this for him, he’ll see otherwise! And the way you wrote this cracked me up. You’re hilarious and you know how to cook. Come be my best friend? haha Thank you!

Hannah Farmer says: December 20, 2012 at 12:38 am
    • Hmm, that’s strange Maureen. Many people have a hard time viewing the blog in Internet Explorer 8, is that what you’re using? The temperature is 400. Try using Mozilla, Safari, or Chrome as a browser to view the website!

97. I cook on my glass top with cast iron with no problems. I did a lot of research and what I found is this:

1. Cookware must not be over an inch larger in diameter than the burner.

2. Cookware must be flat on the bottom so it will make complete contact with the burner. The air gap is what causes these glass tops to crack or gouge.

3. Pick up your cookware if you need to reposition it, do not slide it. This will prevent scratching.

98. I have always left the BIG MEAT meals to my husband and most likely the grill. NOT TODAY! Followed your recipe to the letter and made 4 filets for my husband and I, and 2 teenage daughters. BEST.STEAK.EVER. Not a bite was left. And my cast iron skillet left my glass cooktop unscathed. THANK YOU!!

99. This was WAY too much salt, but we tried it again with onlyn1 teaspoon TOTAL, and unsalted butter, and it was fabulous! Love them in the cast iron skillet WAY better than the grill!

100. Whitney let your fans know that they can get cast iron pans at a second hand store or yard sale for less than half the price and most of the time all ready seasond. I collect them and my favorite is 70 years old from our family.

Talk about great steak! Thank you for the butter idea.

101. You were right. This was awesome. I followed your instructions and it turned out great! Does this work for rib eyes and other steaks the same way since they are generally cut thinner? I love the flavor of grilled, but this, this was awesome! Thanks for the “enlightenment”!

102. The steak was very, good. But I had a couple problems.

1. My steaks were WAY too thin – I can’t afford Filet Mignon – and got what I could afford. You need thick cuts of meat … like you clearly said.

After 2 minutes of searing, they were medium rare and so I had to skip the oven part.

2. My stove vents back into the house – not outside as it should – and as, I assume restaurant hoods do. Therefore, My kitchen was EXTREMELY filled with smoke. I had to open the doors and windows even though it was 20 degrees outside.

This is not a critique – just what can happen if you can’t or won’t follow the instructions.

103. A tip about the cast iron skillet – there are two kinds of bottoms. One has a raised ring, the other just a flat bottom. You can safely use the one with the FLAT bottom, but not the one with the ring. All cookware used on a glass stove top need to be perfectly flat, that’s the secret. If not, heat builds up and that’s not good…so I have some I can use on the top and some I cannot. And these are perfect steaks!! Thanks, Whitney.

104. OHMIGOSH! I just made this for our New Year’s Eve dinner….AMAZING. I will never cook steak another way ever again. Ever. Also, I used a nonstick oven-safe pan and got wonderful results. THANK YOU! : )

105. My hubby and I did this last night for our New Year’s Eve dinner. It was the best steak I have ever had at home, hands down. It was definitely high end steakhouse quality. Thank you for this recipe. This is the only way we will cook steak from now on. I still can’t believe something so amazing came out of my kitchen and was so easy!

106. So we did surf and turf for NYE this year and I used this recipe for the steak (we normally grill). Oh my freakin goodness. I’ll never do a steak any other way. This was amazing. So flavorful and tender. I didn’t have cast iron but it would just fine in my Caphalon anodized skillet and it was perfect. The compound butter was even awesome on the green beans. Thanks for sharing.

107. Our recipe is very similiar…about 1 1/2 inch prime rib steak. Place on metal steak platter and season with Kosher Coarse Salt and Pepper Oven to 500 degrees for 5 minutes and turn oven off. Leave in oven for approx 10 minutes (medium rare).

Serve with Merlo or Cabernet Butter.

Merlo/Cabernet Butter–reduce wine to a thick syrup then add desired amount of butter.

We will never grill a steak again!!

Diane Brockman says: January 3, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  108. We had steak tonight. Love your method. Used one of my old cast iron skillets. The whole process ONLY took about 10 minutes. My Italian husband loved it. He even admitted it was better and juicier than grilled. Thank you for sharing. Oh yes, I found this on PINTEREST.

• WIN! The best compliments in the world come from Italian men, they know how to eat! So glad your family liked it, Dianne!

109. Pingback: Resturant Style Steak | This Mom's Mayhem

110. I have just had the best time reading through at least 2/3′s of these comment postings. I am trying this after I get to the store and thanks for the glass-top stove info and my so far unused cast iron grill skillet! I hope I know my hubby will flip his lid with this meal. When it works, I will pass onto my son…who loves to grill.

PS I found this on Pinterest and something I noted as I read the comments. YOU are amazing for keep up with all the postings that this recipe has created!!

111. I tried this tonight after I found it on Pinterest and although I am vegetarian, my bf eats meat. I thought it would be nice to surprise him with a nice steak dinner. WOW – he said it’s in his top 3! The 2 others were from high-end steak houses in the city and I will never use another recipe again. Thanks so much for sharting this!!!

112. Pingback: Why? Fresh Fork! | Why CLE?

113. I treat myself to a nice steak once every great while and this is how I make it. I had no idea it was considered “restaurant style”. It has a delicious flavor when cooked this way. YUM!

• Yep, just cook for less time. What is important is that your meat is the right temperature (135 for rare, 140-145 for medium!) Good luck!

114. I have cooked meat this way before and will agree that it is wonderful. How about searing on the grill and finishing off in the oven? The best of both worlds :)

115. I would love to see the recipe for the steak..but I can’t any of the recipes anyplace….
    Please help me…
    thanks
    suzanne

suzanne miller says: January 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm
  116. Eh, you can accomplish this on a grill fairly easily if you know what you’re doing.

I do enjoy the cast iron/oven method, but I find my kitchen/dining room gets too smokey after searing at such high heat (my exhaust hood sucks).

Fortunately, if you get a bed of coals going in the grill, you can sear the steak(s) and simply move the steak to an area of indirect heat to finish. I just did a 1-1/2″ thick Ribeye using this method last weekend and aside from the brown crust, it was medium rare all the way down!

KingPellinore says: January 11, 2013 at 3:55 pm
  117. My boyfriend and I tried this recipe tonight. He had a NY Strip and I had a Bone-In Ribeye. We adapted the herb butter a bit to include garlic powder, oregano, dill weed, and thyme. Let me just say, this was AMAZING! I have never had a better steak, seriously! We also seasoned the steaks with seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. My boyfriend paired it with a stuffed baked potato, including butter, sour cream, scallion, onions, and cheddar cheese. It was superb. I will always cook my steaks with this method from now on. Thank you!

118. Thanks soooo much for this. Just saw it on Pinterest and can’t wait to try it. While the filet is by far the best will this also work with a nice thick ribeye or strip? I gotta try this this weekend. May never grill a steak again.

Wendell Rowell says: January 12, 2013 at 5:42 am
  119. I’ll take the challenge. I also finish in the oven and sear with butter, but I start off on the grill with a real wood fire. There is no substitute for smoke flavor. I’d also make the challenge include a more difficult cut. How about a porter house where you have tenderloin on one side of the bone and the NY strip steak on the other. They don’t cook the same. The fillet is the easiest by far as it is a very lean forgiving steak.

• I guess it’s just preference. I certainly believe you can achieve the same level of even cooking, it’s the flavor that can’t be replicated on the grill. But I am not one for char – so that is why I prefer a pan sear. Also, butter.

120. Pingback: Project 003 – Restaraunt Style Steak « Visual Experiments

121. Hey Girl! I absolutely love your style & your blog! I am big into cooking crafts and drinks too and have ALWAYS wanted to put my ideas out there. Your absolutely an inspiration! I only have some of my recipes and ideas on like Pinterest & Facebook right now but I’m Dying to make a blog! What site did you use for yours? or do you recommend one I could use, preferably free for now. Thanks! P.S.: I Cannot WAIT to try your steak recipe!!! :)

• Lacey, Thank you! That is too kind! I have a self hosted website that was specifically designed for me. While I started with the theme Cooking Press, it was highly customized just for my readers by my designer, and Brian who did the back end implementation. If you are just starting out, Thesis themes through wordpress are good themes to start with a new blog! Best of luck to you!

122. Pingback: Recipe of the Week | Restaurant Style Filet Mignon «

123. Hi! I can’t wait to try this! One question; You mention using olive oil. I thought that you couldn’t heat olive oil to such a high temp. I just want to confirm before I try this. Thanks!

• yes Elise, you are good! The olive oil actually helps with accepting the temperature because butter burns at a lower temp than olive oil! If you’re afraid, use canola or vegetable oil instead.

• Hey Samantha, these bad boys are thick, over 2 inches I’d say, but just adjust your oven time if you have thinner ones to cook less. Rely on your meat thermometer for guidance. What is important is to stop the cooking at 135 for a med. rare steak and let it rest a few minutes.

124. When I told my husband I was cooking steaks in the kitchen he not only argued with me about it but convinced himself he was not going to be happy with the outcome. Oh man did he change his tune. Our steaks turned out melt in your mouth tender and absolutely perfect. He’s decided he’s never grilling steaks again. Thanks for letting us in on the secret!

125. Hi Whit,
    Could you email me the recipe for the steakhouse steak cooked in the cast iron skillet, I am unable to see it on your website.

126. OH. MY. GOD. This was freaking AMAZING!!!!!! My husband took one bite and said, “yeah, put this on the list to make again!”

127. I found this on Pintrest the other day, after telling my husband about your head to head challenge you offered, he said lets try it!!!!! Tonight I had him cook “his” steak on a charcoal grill and I made “my” (your) steak. HE WAS AMAZED!!!!!!”his” steak was not eaten while there was not even a scrap left of “mine” Thank you soooooo much!!!!

holli weekley says: January 22, 2013 at 3:29 am
  128. well, I think I did this once year ago and had forgotten about it. I’m so glad I happened on your site on pinterest! I totally agree this is best way to do steak, letting it continue to cook off in oven more gently. can’t wait to eat a good ole’ steak now :)

129. To anyone having issues with viewing the website: So sorry! My website is incompatible with outdated browsers such as Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8, so if you are using one of those it might not load. I would love for you all to visit again, so try using Mozilla, Chrome, Safari, or updating your browser to Internet Explorer 9 or 10 to view the site.

Just in case, the recipe is below. I hope to see you at Whit’s Amuse Bouche again!

——

Restaurant Style Filet Mignon

By Whitney, December 8, 2011
    Restaurant Style Filet Mignon

The best steak you’ve put anywhere near your face.
    Ingredients:

filet mignon – 2, 8 ounce filets
    kosher salt – 4 teaspoons
    freshly cracked pepper – 4 teaspoons
    butter – 1 stick
    olive oil – 1 tablespoon
    garlic – 2 cloves, chopped
    parsley – 1 tablespoon, chopped
    thyme – 1 tablespoon, chopped
    lemon zest – 1 teaspoon

Instructions:

130. Pingback: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) - Page 435 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 435

131. Pingback: Weekend Links

132. Pingback: New-to-me recipes & some old favorites | Crayons in My Coffee

133. Thanks for the great recipe & tips, Whitney!! A well prepared steak is truly a thing of beauty :)

Quick question….I was told long ago that for even cooking, it’s best to bring your steaks to room temp before cooking..and at the very least, don’t cook them cold, right out of the fridge….if you do, the outside will cook more quickly, and get overdone before the inside of the steak hits the proper temp. And I have found that when I let my steaks sit out at room temp for a while before cooking they turn out better. Have you found this to make a difference in this recipe???

• I’d lower the cook time by a few minutes in the oven, but check with a meat thermometer. the key is to pull at 135 degrees.

134. Hi Whitney!!! I used your recipe this evening on some really nice ribeye steaks! This is the only way I will cook my steaks (any cut) from now on. Thanks so much for sharing. I served the steaks with baked potatoes, French green beans (blanched and then sauteed and seasoned with butter, garlic salt, and fresh cracked black pepper) and sautéed mushrooms with onion. The flavor of the steaks was awesome and they were succulent! I did let them sit at room temp before cooking as I learned that years ago. Husband thoroughly enjoyed!! I will share this with all of my steak loving friends! Happy Eating to you and yours!

135. I agree with your list of high quality ingredients (salt, butter, herbs), but I would add to that: meat! Our steaks got 100% more tender, juicy, delicious, etc, when we started buying local meat (at our farmer’s market, or stores that carried it) than when we were buying prepackaged (sometimes dyed!!) meat in the grocery story. Plus this way we’re supporting our local economy and farmers!

136. I pinned your recipe a few months ago because of the delicious looking picture. I just made them tonight! The yummy picture lived up to its hype! My husband says to thank you! We will defintely be doing this again!

137. My picky husband loved this! We are big grillers, but it’s February in the Northeast with snow on the ground. I used boneless New York Strip and just lessened the time. The fresh thyme leaves are always a bear, but worth it! Thanks!

138. OMG!!! Perfect, perfect, PERFECT!!!!! Thank you!!! I’ve never done a steak this way but wanted to for Valentine’s Day. I added a splash of red wine to the pan when I put it int he once and instead of the butter I put on some gorgonzola the last minute of cooking. Darling was in heaven!!!

139. I tried this out for Valentine’s Day and it was SOOO good! Better than most restaurants! My husband even said I should just cook all the meat like this and he’ll grill veggies! Thank you so much for the recipe!

140. I have made steak this way for years. I use a non-stick skillet and it does fine in the oven for me..although my steaks are not quite as thick and therefore do not require quite as long of a time in the oven..delicious!

141. I just made this, ate it and enjoyed every bite! First time I have not over cooked a steak, so delicious!! Thank you!!

142. I don’t normally comment on blogs, but I feel compelled to compliment you on this recipe! Made this last night for dinner. Some ribeye was looking at me seductively from the butcher counter, and they were out of filet. I was worried about overcooking it because of the thickness differential, but I just cut down on the oven time a little and it came out perfect. Probably the best steak I’ve ever eaten, period! And I made it! Don’t have cast iron so I just used my All-Clad sauce pan and it worked wonderfully, although I imagine cast iron would have been even better!

143. I made this steak for tonight’s dinner, and it was the best steak meal I have ever prepared for my husband of 22 years. We are a bit olde, so I will cut the salt down by at least half the next time I make it, but with the other ingredients I am sure it will still be fantastic! My cast iron skillets are going to get a real workout!!! Thank you!!!

144. Pingback: » Blog Archive » A very CORNY post…get it? :)

145. Perfect Perfect Perfect!!! I added goat cheese to the herb butter and loved it. You are also very clever and funny and full of wit. The filets turned out magnificent. Thankyou so much!

146. Do you recommend cooking any cut of steak this way? Do you think this would work well cooking a NY Strip or Delmonico?

147. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday: Spinach Soup | This Felicitous Life

148. this is the only way to make a steak. try it – you will never go back. GRILLS ARE FOR BRATS AND HOTDOGS!!

I like to get a nice, hard crust before finishing in the oven (longer time stove top, shorter time in oven)

dollop of horseradish to dip it in.

so, so awesome.

149. While the steak looks delicious, and judging by your ingredients, I am sure it would be very pleasant, you would have to allow me to differ on your opinion, a grilled ribeye beats any filet, hands down, although a lot of people seem to miss the butter aspect, When grilling a good steak, a basting brush and some clarified or compound butter should always be used.

E. J. Hodgins says: March 13, 2013 at 6:20 pm
  150. Thanks sooo much for this recipe it was delicious!!! I tried this tonight with strip steaks just had to cook for shorter time because they were not as thick.

151. Have you ever tried this with a thick pork chop? I told my husband that I was thinking the thick chops we make on the grill would be fabulous done like this just have to sear and bake little longer. I will try and let you know ;)

152. Pingback: My Birthday Boy - Stacey Woods Photography Blog

153. We have tried your recipe twice now, and even though we have to cut back a little on the butter, we will never have our steaks another way. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, and humor. We are grateful.

154. Let me first say I have tried tons of fabulous recipes I have gotten off the ‘net but never been compelled to comment. I was skeptical but intrigue with cooking our favorite grill item on the stove and oven but these steaks were DELICIOUS!!!!! We have filets at least once a week and my sister is the grill master, so I had a lot of skeptical dinner guests as well (cooked 8 steaks!)….”you’re not *grilling* them?!!?”…”you’re going to cook those on the stove?!?!”…were some of the doubtful questions…thankfully the steaks were cooked to perfection, just between medium rare and medium…I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome!! Will be cooking like this again!!! Thank you!!!!

155. Pingback: Raise the Steaks | sarah linnell

156. I’ve been cooking steak like that for 20 years, Boom!
    IT’S NOTHING NEW SON!
    Anyways there it is kids, KaSmack!
    You just got served.
    Kablam.
    (are you Guy Fieris sister/cousin?)

157. I have used this method to cook chicken and I will never cook it any other way than this..
    So I cooked 2 steaks tonight using your method and recipe…OMG !!! The only comparable steak I’ve ever had was at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse…and at 1/3 the cost , will probably never go there again…lol.
    Absolutely amazing..No more gas grill steaks for this kid.
    Thank you for this..
    You have my girlfriend and I very happy campers..

158. My husband and I love to cook go ether after the kids Are in bed for special little At home dates. We made this tonight. I’m EXTREMELY picky when it comes to my steak. Thi was hands down best steak ever. We will never grill a steak again!

159. Hey!!!

Where can I buy this delicious wine at?! Do you buy it online or at the winery only?

Also, the steak is such a scene stealer; what about the side for it?!

Thank you, thank you, thank you from a fellow
    meat, wine, carbs & chocolate lover!!

160. I accidently found this method when my grill ran out of gas one evening not long ago. I’ve been in a state of denial ever since. Then I saw Whitney’s picture ….. I wanted to take her up on the challenge but …. the steak would burn, then neither of us would be happy. But she is 100% correct. I have a flat steel pan that’s getting a workout. Now what we need is a means to tenderize other cuts and do them as well. Filet’s can actually almost cook themselves. So, Whitney lets get that stove hot:) and get this accomplished before we all become socialist:)

161. Pingback: Bacon wrapped filet mignon | The Nom Blog

162. Just a few suggestions:

Have you considered a homemade sous vide? This is what a lot of the big name steakhouses use for the most tender and precisely cooked steaks. If you’ve never heard of it try a youtube search. There are a number of good videos

When cooking steak or venison, or anything you would commonly consider “tenderness”, always be sure to allow the meat to come to room temperature before searing it. It is commonly believed that the rapid temperature change from refrigeration to flame is the leading cause of the meat tightening up and becoming tough.

163. I used your technique, and made a steak for my GF as a pre-mothers day dinner and she absolutely loved it!!! TY TY TY TY for helping me score MAJOR points…

Charles W. says: May 12, 2013 at 12:40 am
  164. This recipe works perfectly outside if your gas grill has a side burner as mine does. I preheat the grill leaving it closed and use a heavy skillet on the side burner. After the initial sear I pop it into the grill to finish. No smoke inside the house and the kitchen stays cool. I like asparagus so I often add a tray of it blanched and drizzle olive oil with salt and pepper at the same time the steak goes in. If it needs a few more minutes I leave it in while the steak is resting.

Great Recipes Whitney!

165. OMG! Tried this today it is incredible. I used ribeye steaks and they were so tender and flavorful!. I added fresh basil to my butter. I figured it couldn’t hurt. Served it with roasted asparagus that was topped with a mix of Parmesan and Provel (St Louis cheese). My son said it was the best!!! Not eating red meat often anymore, but looking forward to our next encounter. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.

166. I had a major pregnancy craving this week for a fat, juicy steak! As we don’t have the cash to run out to a steakhouse for dinner every day, I made it at home with your instructions. HEAVEN!! Nothing like hitting the spot and having a delicious meal when everything else always tastes disgusting. Somehow I missed the part where it stays in the cast iron for baking, I moved it onto a small baking pan. It still turned out great though! I also used sirloin steaks (from a home-raised cow) instead of filet mignon, so I didn’t cook it as long, but it turned out beautifully! There is NOTHING like home-raised beef. Nothing. Thanks for helping us do justice to this amazing meat! And for helping a sick pregnant lady out! :)

167. Sorry but I dont agree. Of course I dont grill using gas, I use a Bar-Be-Que using mesquite wood which adds alot of flavor that you cant get using a skillet.

168. I’m a vegetarian dating a meatatarian, and for the first time *in my life* I allowed him to cook meat in my house. I found this recipe on Pinterest and while he seared the meat I made the compound butter (and then made my own veggie food). So thank you. This recipe is literally the first meat-related food to be cooked in my home since I moved out of my parents’ house 10 years ago. :-) (I did post the recipe on my blog but gave you mad credit for it.)

169. Pingback: Surf and Turf | She Bakes and Creates

170. This was good, but a couple precautions… This turned my house into a smoke pit. I had to open my windows, turn fans on, and silence my smoke alarm twice. I seared my steak for 2 minutes on the first side, which gave it char, not just searing, and then seared the next side for 90 seconds before placing it in the oven for 5.5 minutes… The steak came out with lots of char on both sides and medium (barely pink in the middle, warm on the inside). I interpreted “screaming hot” as all the way to high on my stove for the searing, and I used the recommended temperature of 400 degrees F. I guess maybe sear the steak for a maximum of one minute on each side and only place it in the oven for five minutes?

171. Before i learned your skillet method my man used to love to go out for steaks. Now when we go out to eat he gets upset because he thinks my steaks are better :) thank you for teaching me your secrets THEY WORK BEAUTIFULLY

172. Very aptly titled, “Restaurant Style”, because it’s true that’s how they do it! Also, thank you for acknowledging the offense you caused : )

I agree the most of our dads did teach us wrong, but it has nothing to do with the grill just how we use it. I’m up for the challenge of replicating your recipe on my grill – charcoal grill – because you cannot replace the flavor of smoke.

173. So, this may be the best thing I have ever cooked, ever in life. I cooked this for dinner tonight…and yes I used a cast iron skillet on a glass top range. I’ll never grill another steak. Thank you so much!

174. Thanks for sharing. I attended a cooking class last summer where the executive chef of Capital Grill demonstrated this exact method. Later in the summer I saw Bobby Flay in person and he cooked a steak the same way. I have to say that its no grill for steaks for me now that I know how to properly cook the steak with the respect that beautiful piece of meat deserves. Kudos to you for sharing this with others.

PS, I can’t wait to try your compound butter recipe.

175. This way of cooking steak is 10 times better. I do not miss my Bbq at all. Thanks for sharing this recipe. So awesome…

176. Question- can I do 4 filets at once this way?? My inlaws are in town this weekend!

I’ve made this recipe twice now and it’s AMAZING! Now to impress the inlaws!

177. Beautiful idea. I cannot beat this recipe with a grill, but I can provide a steak just as delicious on a grill. The best part is, its a $10 charcoal grill. Also, you can do this with a flat top grill, which is the magic behind Outback Steakhouse’s delicious steaks. ;) Love it tho!!!

James Chismark says: July 19, 2013 at 10:23 pm
  178. I tried this last winter and it’s now the only way I’ll cook steak! Simple and delicious!!! I have experimented and used other seasonings .

179. Will any cut of steak work? I have lots of sirloin on hand right now and would like to use it up. I tried it as the recipe says and it was wonderful!

180. This was the best steak I have ever made! It was cooked perfectly!!! However, way too salty and I LOVE salt! Will reduce the salt next time.

Deborah McMillan says: September 30, 2013 at 12:53 am
  181. Also, before you copy and paste a response because of the negative comments, we used 20 oz of filet, not your recommend 16. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if we’d used 16 oz. This is constructive criticism, and nothing personal.

182. Pingback: Chuck Eye Steak Recipe: The Poor Man's Ribeye

183. My man loves to cook and made this for me on our anniversary. I made him show me where he got the recipe from because this is SO good! I wouldn’t change anything about this recipe. The cast iron skillet, fresh ingredients, butter: all perfect for a perfect occasion. Thank you!

184. This is the only way my husband cooks steak! I only eat fillet and he only eats prime rib! I also make a compound butter but I just grate fresh Parmesan cheese with a stick of butter. Delish!! We also have a green egg and never use it for steak!! Oh I also have a ceramic cook top and we use le cruset frying pan on it all the time it’s scratched a bit but what odds!! It’s worth it!! I sometimes clean my frying pan with some sea salt and baking soda just to give it a good scrub, then a coat of oil:)

185. Holy Comments Batman, I have to chime in.

This sounds absolutely amaze-balls (and I’m like 18 months late to the party). This is going to christen my cast iron, it’s never been put in the oven before.

Thank you.

Molly Danger says: October 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm
  186. Pingback: Restaurant Style Filet Mignon | What2Cook

187. I have to tell you that I just made and ate this with my husband as an early Sunday dinner. I also added a wine reduction sauce with some of the drippings that I gathered before tossing the skillet in the oven. I added a few mushrooms/shallots/dried cranberries to the sauce, and poured over the steak before topping with the herb butter.
    I knew he’d love the butter, so I made extra to spread over dinner rolls, and he was seriously moaning as he ate, lol.
    He looked at me like he wanted to marry me all over again. So, yeah, I’m so keeping this recipe. Thanks!

188. My husband is mad that I “took his job” but admits this is the BEST way to cook restaurant style steaks. Instead of your compound butter recipe I made one of my own using butter, bleu cheese, S&P. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing!

189. My boyfriend and I made this for my birthday dinner and it was amazing. Best steak either of us has had…ever! Thank you!!

190. I’m totally making this Saturday!! I think I may have drooled a little. Looks fantastic. I might crumble a little boursin on top.

191. Hi Billie, you’re using an outdated version of Internet Explorer which my website isn’t compatible with. Try using firefox!