Straight up now tell me.

Don’t you dare try and tell me that when you walk by that snack section at the grocery you don’t pause and long for a fruit roll up.  Don’t say it. I know you would be lying, and I am all about keeping an open, honest, childish foundation to this blog.  We can’t pretend to be mature and build this blog on a pillar of lies and empty carbs.

I know that you, just like me, miss the summer days of sticky fingers, red ringed lips and fruit roll up wrappers in your pockets. Once again here kids, we are avoiding pillars of lies and carbs.

Straight up now tell me, as an adult don’t you long for fruit roll ups, (whoa – oh – oh) or am I the only one? (dun-dun dundundun)

I know. It’s hard to hold it in. But the good news is – you can have them anytime you want. Without the preservatives.

Fruit “Roll Ups”

4 cups chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar

Blend strawberries with sugar in a blender until smooth.

Then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a sauce pan.

Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for about an hour until it has reduced and is thick.

Preheat oven to 200°F.  Pour hot purée onto wax papered baking sheet. Cook for 3 hours, until it is dry to the touch.

And get excited.

So while you’re letting your fruit roll ups dry out in the oven, maybe you should hop on over to the Great Amuse Bouche Wedding Challenge, and vote for our amuse bouches for the wedding.  You can win baked goods and my favorite cook book, plus you’d be helping me make a really important decision. So, yea.

Love,

Whit

Share It!

Whitney

About Whitney

Whitney is the Founder of Whit's Amuse Bouche, a nationally recognized food and humor blog. When she's not in the kitchen, you can find her with a glass of california cabernet in one hand and a hot glue gun in the other. She prefers sweat pants to real ones. View all posts by Whitney →

17 Responses to Straight up now tell me.

1. Don’t add the sugar. There is no need, the strawberries alone are sweet enough. And it will make the house smell wonderful. :)

2. This SO reminds me of being younger…haha that is so awesome. Thank you so much for sharing this, made my day!

RavieNomNoms says: March 24, 2011 at 1:34 pm
  3. we’ve been experimenting with fruit leathers and the dehydrator. We’ve found you don’t actually have to add any sugar/sweetener for most fruit leathers but/and you can easily use agave instead of sugar. Just fruit (no sugar or sweetener) is often sweet enough.. no complaints from my girl!

4. I grew up with spreading applesauce(sweetened) onto plastic wrap (on cookie trays of course) and my mom would put them in the back of our car in the hot parts of summer (we didn’t have air conditioning so this saved us from turning on the stove) and the next day the applesauce would have dried enough that you roll up the plastic wrapped applesauce and cut into pieces. Store in a air tight jar and they last forever! When you want one- you just peel off the wrap and enjoy!

Catherine B says: March 25, 2011 at 1:00 am
  5. I won’t lie…I do think about all the fun kids treats…then keep walking by…
    This recipe looks easy, fun, and wow DELISH!!!
    I am excited to try this recipe:-)
    Take care,
    Terra

6. So did you mean to say poor it on plastic wrap covered cookie sheet instead of wax paper? I tried it with waxed paper today and I can’t get it off the wax paper. As I went back to look at your pictures it looks like you did plastic wrap so I think I’ll try again and try that… It smells delish though! I hope I can get it work the second time around.